Just going through some walkers and found this coin. It has rays or die cracks above the right shoulder and arm areas of lady liberty that extend upward much like the sun rays. Also, I noticed that the artist initials on the reverse appear missing. I'm aware of known examples of missing artist initials but is there any variety designation for what I see on the obverse? Any assistance is greatly appreciated. I hope my pictures are sufficient. Thanks!
I think it's a die clash showing some detail of the eagles feathers. (They appear only as about 5 lines or like rays at the shoulder and then along outstretched arm.) Maybe not though?
Agreed, not seeing it match up with a clash. Not die cracks. Strange that a series of die gauges or heavy die scratches would appear on a mid to mid-high relief point of the devices. it's an I'm not sure for me.
Update: I probably should change the title to possible Sunburst? I received an email from a different source stating that this variety is listed in NGC Variety Plus and is considered quite rare. It does match the markers from what I see. Here is the link to NGC Variety Plus https://www.NGCcoin.com/variety-plu...1947/820333/
This particular variety attribution is listed as: 1945 "SUNBURST" VP-001 It also shows a pic of the outstretched arm and shoulder area. NGC census population is 5 known WOW!
Interesting what you dismiss years ago and then find later in an old baseball type box...lol
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited. Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use