Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer 300,000 items to help build your collection! Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsSpecializing in Modern Numismatics








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

1857 Fe

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 1,620Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
GR58's Avatar
United States
11951 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2010  5:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
I picked up this 1857 flying Eagle today, I am hoping I got it at a good price.

I think it has some good detail, but the motto is very weak or maybe Struck Through Grease. Any opinions on this, or grade and value would be helpful.



1857-Fe

1857-Fe
Valued Member
needgames4lyfe's Avatar
United States
323 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2010  5:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add needgames4lyfe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not at all good at this series but I would say VF+; this is just my opinion thouhg.There is a decent amount of wear

Edit changed due to learning about the FE series more!
Edited by needgames4lyfe
05/27/2010 6:27 pm
Rest in Peace
johnny54321's Avatar
United States
4849 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2010  5:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnny54321 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Way stronger than F-12 imo.... I think it only has XF wear, but strike issues would bring it down to high VF-30/35 market grade. Nice lookin coin!
Pillar of the Community
Prethen's Avatar
United States
3234 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2010  5:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Prethen to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This was struck on a misaligned die and ended up with a very poor strike. It looks like a VF/XF coin as far as wear goes. Maybe XF40.
Edited by Prethen
05/27/2010 5:58 pm
Moderator
Learn More...
vermontensium's Avatar
United States
16697 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2010  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's definitely got strike issues. It was weakly struck that would account for the "mushy" reverse details. Obverse has XF45 details but I would downgrade due to the overall strike to XF40. CDN bid is $95
swcoin.ecrater.com
Bedrock of the Community
GR58's Avatar
United States
11951 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2010  7:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GR58 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting replies you all are giving. I do not have that much experience with this series.

I like hearing your opinions on the strike issues, they do make sense.

Are you all saying that if this coin was sent in to be graded (not that I would send it in) that it might get a VF/XF grade? I guess I am asking this because I am not sure how a TPG would deal with the poor strike issue.

I bought this today at a small local coin shop for $22, so I guess I did ok.
Moderator
Learn More...
vermontensium's Avatar
United States
16697 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2010  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$22? You did just fine! A TPG would at the very least give it a VF++ grade. I think it would make XF though.
swcoin.ecrater.com
Pillar of the Community
macmercury's Avatar
United States
5903 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2010  9:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add macmercury to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's an excellent buy price.
Valued Member
albumcollector's Avatar
United States
285 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2010  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add albumcollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great buy at $22, I recently paid $20 for one in good condition!
Rest in Peace
johnny54321's Avatar
United States
4849 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2010  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnny54321 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I bought this today at a small local coin shop for $22, so I guess I did ok.


I'd go back to the shop and see what else they had for sale at 25% book.. Nice score!
Pillar of the Community
trdhrdr007's Avatar
United States
2335 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2010  07:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add trdhrdr007 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would have jumped all over that one for $22. Nice VF or better coin.
Pillar of the Community
busthalf's Avatar
United States
1304 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2010  2:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add busthalf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would give this a VF-12 grade. It seems that alot of FE's show a weak STATES. Does everyone else see this trend to?
Rest in Peace
johnny54321's Avatar
United States
4849 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2010  4:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnny54321 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I would give this a VF-12 grade.
What is VF-12?
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 1,620Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Forums