I was looking at a roll of 1959 Lincoln cents that was in my grandfathers collection he had given me and I noticed some doubling on this one in a few places but not quite sure if its Strike Doubling or what ever so I figured I would ask the people that are familiar with Lincoln cents and get their opinion
Definitely Machine Doubling which is common around this period of time on the locations that you show. Be also aware of another form of doubling that occurs in the same area. In 1935, while making a new master hub, the transfer left doubling on the forehead of Lincoln and some of the curls of hair on top of the head. This is called MDO or master die doubling. Over the years, this doubling faded from repetitive use of the master hub, however, some very VEDS to EDS strikes still showed this doubled die affect even into the late 1960's; this was corrected in 1969 when a new galvano was made for the Lincoln Cent.
Thank you both, that's the reason I asked, I first went to coppercoins.com and didn't find anything like it on there so I kind of figured it wasn't much worth even talking about but figured I would ask the experts anyway just to see what they said. Thanks again for the replies
Just because you don't find something specific listed on my site, don't assume it's nothing important. We get news on five to ten newly discovered dies weekly at times, and they are hard to keep up with. I just discovered a new doubled die obverse for 1972D cents this week...
Thanks anyhow for using the site.
Oh...and I agree, you have Machine Doubling coupled with some finishing lathe doubling. Neither are 'collectible'.
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited. Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use