Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors 300,000 items to help build your collection! Specializing in Modern Numismatics Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin Auctions








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Think This Might Work For Coins ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 1,550Next Topic  
Valued Member
CitizenPatriot's Avatar
United States
158 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2011  4:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CitizenPatriot to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
Looking to improve my own coin photography, but I also photograph custom jewelry for my wife's online store, so I need something a bit larger than 6" x 6".

Ran across this copy stand on Amazon, with a 24" x 24" base....should be plenty large enough for both jewelry *and* coins. I'm thinking I can use my 50mm macro on the necklaces and such, and the 90mm macro for coins. Should be heavy duty enough to handle my DLSR.

http://www.amazon.com/RPS-Studio-Co...Y0JCXB1GUZ5S

Once I add several LED gooseneck lights, I believe I'll have a pretty versatile set-up. I know several CCF members are using similar set-ups for photographing their coins, but not sure if anyone has used a copy stand this large before.

Any thoughts ?
Moderator
Learn More...
SsuperDdave's Avatar
United States
23522 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2011  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No reason at all why it can't work for coins; I'm thinking your jewelry photography would be the determining factor for the size of the stand you'll want. A 90-100mm macro is going to need, at most, about 18" from front of lens to the coin for a major-size coin. Consider the distance the lens extends while focusing in this calculation. A necklace will require a far larger field of view, and the distance might exceed 18" even with a 50mm lens.

I have a Testrite CS-3 of similar dimension, which worked fine until I superseded it with better equipment.
Valued Member
CitizenPatriot's Avatar
United States
158 Posts
 Posted 11/20/2011  6:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CitizenPatriot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, SuperDave.....knew I could count on you for a timely response !
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 1,550Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Forums