Has anyone ever sent a coin graded by PCGS or NGC back for their "re-grading" process and received a higher grade? NCG at least claims that they remove the coin from its holder before regrading, but PCGS does not make that claim (although I expect they too remove the coin. \
ON a different note: Greetings! To all observers "Happy Easter" or "Happy passover." If there are any I missed or whatever, I hope you had great week end.!
I am a dealer and have used the re-grade service at both companies. I believe that PCGS also removes the coins from their holders for re-grading purposes. The re-graded coins come back in new holders with new grading labels and ID numbers.
Using the re-grade service instead of cracking the coin out and sending it in for regular grading provides the submitter the important protection of not having the coin down-graded or no-graded (it can and does happen to the sharpest of submitters). However, many people feel that sending the coin in for re-grade in the holder reduces your chances of getting an unbiased opinion/upgrade.
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited. Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use