I've purchased a number of items over the last 3 years from Gatewest coin. I exclusively have purchased using their online ebay store. Although in the beginning I always received fast prompt and courteous service as of late it has changed in a dramatic way.
From long shipping delays to additional invoicing due to incorrectly billing in the ebay listing to even being harassed and called a bully by the in store Manager because I questioned them on their service and billing policies. I have lost confidence in this apparent reputable coin and gold dealer.
I am wondering if I am alone in my experiences or if other people have had similar experiences.
I also am looking for recommendations of another dealer I can give my business too.
Oh, your not the only one. I have not been physically in the store in 3 years, and I have not purchased anything from them in 4 years. Please check out the google reviews.
I was debating whether or not to bring it up, but I also had a crummy experience with them earlier this summer. I ordered something through the Albern (Gatewest-owned) website, but didn't receive an order confirmation other than the automatic one you get when you fill out an order form and check-out online. My credit card wasn't being charged, so I had to email them a bunch of times to figure out what was going on. It took two weeks for me to figure out what they did.
It turns out they cancelled my order, because the prices on the items I ordered from the website were too low, and hadn't been updated yet. Aside from the fact that this might violate Canada's Competition Act, it was the lack of communication that bothered me. They said they tried emailing me but that my inbox was full (which is not true, I have a gmail account that isn't even 15% full).
Their online ordering systems are apparently from the 1970s, and deeming an item "out of stock" is a manual process (it doesn't happen automatically when a customer orders the last item). They also have to update the prices of items manually (I was told this by the Gatewest manager). I will say that the manager of Albern (essentially Gatewest's Calgary store) did phone and apologize to me profusely; he seemed frustrated by the turn of events as well. I am unsure when (or if) I will order from them again.
I did manage to buy some coins this week (spending the last of my budget for the year) from another dealer, and the experience was much better.
I ordered one item from their website earlier this year with no issue. One thing I'm not a fan of is the stock photos or no photos for a lot of items on both Gatewest and Colonial Acres. I can understand for high volume items that are $20 or less, but it's kind of poor to not have actual pictures of $100+ items. Sure, the grade may be accurate, but it is still nice to see the actual item prior to buying.
I have been disappointed with this place every time I have gone and more or less decided not to go back. Unfortunately Covid has been rough on me financially and I had to sell my gold coins. There were two employees, one was friendly but extremely incompetent, the other was just rude. I appreciated being able to sell because I did need the money but I wanted so badly to just walk out the door.
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited. Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use