| Author |
Replies: 9 / Views: 1,001 |
|
|
Valued Member
United States
363 Posts |
Here are a few more die varieties I found in the last couple of weeks in a junk silver hoard. First: I believe this to be a tripled (at least) die obverse, again on 1964 D Kennedy half. This may be a quadrupled die or more. This was the best photo I could do. (at least with my present skills!) In hand through a lens, detail shows a little better. Image: Ktripled.jpg49.84 KB Next 3 photos show what I believe to be some minor doubling, not quite as nice as those I posted last week. Mostly on top of "W", bridge between W and E; and top of "U" of TRUST. Image: K1dd.jpg63.61 KB Image: K2dd.jpg58.92 KB Image: K3dd.jpg88.09 KB Most of these coins I would say are AU. Not lots of value, but fun to find!
|
|
|
|
Valued Member
United States
383 Posts |
That has got to be a blast finding something like that. WoW , what can I say . I'm seeing what looks more than doubling ,, I'm counting three easy , seen in the fist picture . Thanks for sharing.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
914 Posts |
Yea, those Kennedy's are fun! The triple one is correct, since the tripling is vertical. The quadruple one is tilted NW/SE.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
3507 Posts |
The first one appears to have more doubling than the known quadrupled die. Either that or it is a very strong strike so all the splits are more clear. I see at least four points on the serifs of the W. My suggestion on that one is to have it looked at. I don't want to cause a big stir like the 1982 DDR Lincoln that just came across these forums but that Kennedy might be a new one too. I am fairly well versed in Kennedy Die Varieties(Not as well as cent die varieties) but I wouldn't just toss that first one in a pile someplace. That coin needs to be checked by an expert on Kennedy Varieties. It could be a quintupled die variety. Thanks, Bill
Edited by foundinrolls 09/20/2007 02:51 am
|
|
Valued Member
 United States
363 Posts |
Thanks for all your responses. Yes, for sure I'm not going to just set that one aside. I've only sold one variety that I cherrypicked myself; it was a 1950's Lincoln Cent with a D/D MM. Even though it wasn't a big deal, I always regretted selling it for just the few bucks I made on it. Nowadays, I keep all the varieties I find in a special place! One thing that helped in finding the coin with the multiple doubling (tripling, quadrupling?) was that I had been looking at dozens if not hundreds of 1964 Kennedy half dollars for days on end. I got so used to it that was able to look at the lettering on the obverse and tell before seeing the MM if it was a P or D mint! I was fortunate in the last couple of weeks that a relative who had put aside some junk silver in bags for many years gave them to me to dispose of for her, and so, I went through as many as I could beforehand. One thing I remembered reading in one of Charles' posts about a year ago was the thickening of the letters in a true doubled die. On this one, the thickening was the first thing I noticed which caused me to look more closely. Though I had known that in the past, reading his post reminded me of that phenomenon! There is quite a bit of multiple doubling in "TRUST" of that coin too, but my skills limited the quality of the photos, so I didn't post any.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
914 Posts |
I agree with you foundinrolls. That does look like more doubling than my quad one. 
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
936 Posts |
|
|
Valued Member
 United States
363 Posts |
Vaslin,
Ooh, I like that quad! The separation is really nice. I didn't understand until just now what was meant by the tilting down to the right. I see from your photo, it's like a stack of pancakes sliding down that way. Thanks, for posting that photo.
What were the circumstances under which you found that one if I may ask? A junk silver hoard?
Oops, I meant to say down to the right, edited my post to say that.
Edited by adobero1 09/20/2007 10:57 pm
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
914 Posts |
:) Thanks Adobero!
My dad had bought about 100 lbs of silver for the millenium.
I was the only one of the family who cared about dates or quality so I got first pick. This came in a roll of uncirculated kennedys. 15 of the roll had some sort of doubling, including three of these!
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
2177 Posts |
|
| |
Replies: 9 / Views: 1,001 |
|