| Author |
Replies: 8 / Views: 1,001 |
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
2335 Posts |
|
|
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
6447 Posts |
Hi Trdhrdr007, I'm not real confident about grading 3CNs, but your coin seems to have only light wear. There are flat areas on Liberty's portrait and the word "Liberty" seems faint, but that may be strike-related. The denticles are very sharp and the reverse has almost full detail on the III and the wreath. If the weak details on the obverse were from wear I wouldn't expect the reverse to look so nice. Overall, I'd guess it grades EF40. If there is some luster remaining around the legend and wreath, it could make EF45. Very decent coin!
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
14454 Posts |
My first impression was XF-45 also and I am not confident in my grading skills on this series either but without being able to read liberty and the lack of detail in other places I just don't feel confident giving it a higher grade myself. I know these things are known for weak strikes but I think I am going to stick to my initial reaction when I first looked at the coin and say XF-45
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
3234 Posts |
I don't see much if any rub on this coin. AU55+... Is this the NGC (Mint State) coin that a fellow forum member was looking at pricing? If so, I know the holder's grade. How much luster do you see on the coin?
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
2335 Posts |
I've been waiting for you to weigh in on this one. This coin is in a PCI holder, they graded it as an AU58. I was hesitant to buy because of the TPG, but I think they got it about right. I can't see any rub on the reverse, there's a very slight hint of rub on the hair above the forehead. There is a lot of luster, & with a good strike the slight hint of rub might not have been enough to keep it from being an MS coin. Unfortunately, there was either a problem with the die, or the strike was very weak. The "LIBERTY" is incomplete, & the detail in the hair is poor. On the reverse the strike is weak at the bottom of the III, especially the first I, which is roughly opposite the weakest part of the obverse. I really prefer coins with a strong strike, but felt like this coin was easily in the AU range, & I felt like the price was reasonable($45 shipped).
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
3234 Posts |
I like it. That price seems very nice, too. Congrats! Is it in a green-tag holder?
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
2335 Posts |
No, it's in the gold holder, another thing that made me hesitant to buy.
|
|
Valued Member
United States
189 Posts |
I really like the die cracks,adds caricture to a 3 cent piece.
Edited by blcoinnut 10/10/2007 5:27 pm
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
1173 Posts |
I, too, was thinking along the lines of AU-55 because of the obvious strong beading in the coronet. Nice coin. Congratulations!
|
| |
Replies: 8 / Views: 1,001 |
|