Hey guys. Been coin hunting all day on my day off and I pulled this 1934 penny that's in pretty nice condition but it it red. Never seen it before but I'm sure it's from a chemical. Any way I can clean it off without damaging the penny?
Just the way it turned in its life. May have spent time in Georgia clay? You could give it the acetone bath, but probably won't change the patina. Leave it alone otherwise.
I had heard that in the 1920's and 1930's travelling circuses and carnivals would paint pennies red and put them into circulation as a form of advertising.
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited. Contact Us | Advertise Here | Privacy Policy / Terms of Use