Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

United States Mint Announces Designs For The Negro Leagues Baseball Commemorative Coin Program

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 104 / Views: 5,093Next Topic
Page: of 7
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1420 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2021  2:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
US Mint - The United States Mint (Mint) today unveiled designs for the 2022 Negro Leagues Baseball Commemorative Coin Program. The designs will be featured on a $5 gold coin, a $1 silver coin, and a half dollar clad coin, as authorized by Public Law 116-209. All designs were created by United States Mint Artistic Infusion Program Designers and sculpted by United States Mint Medallic Artists.

$5 Gold Coin

Obverse
Designer: Laurie Musser
Medallic Artist: Phebe Hemphill
The obverse (heads) design features a portrait of Negro National League founder Rube Foster with his signature. Inscriptions are "NEGRO LEAGUES BASEBALL," "IN GOD WE TRUST," "2022," and "LIBERTY."

Reverse
Designer: Donna Weaver
Medallic Artist: Eric David Custer
The reverse (tails) design depicts the gesture of tipping one's cap, an important sign of respect for players. Inscriptions are "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA," "THEIR LEGACY PLAYS ON," "$5," and "E PLURIBUS UNUM."

$1 Silver Coin

Obverse
Designer: Matt Swaim
Medallic Artist: Eric David Custer
The design depicts a pitcher in mid-throw with the baseball in the foreground and baseball stitching as a border. Inscriptions are "IN GOD WE TRUST," "2022," and "LIBERTY."

Reverse
Designer: Don Everhart
Medallic Artist: Craig A. Campbell
The design depicts a player's eye view of a pitch being delivered to the catcher at the plate. Inscriptions are "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA," "$1," and "E PLURIBUS UNUM."

Half Dollar Clad Coin

Obverse
Designer: Chris Costello
Medallic Artist: John P. Mcgraw
The design depicts a Negro Leagues tour bus that served as their home on the road when players were refused entry to hotels and restaurants. The batter exemplifies the determination to play the game he loves, regardless of challenging circumstances. Inscriptions are "IN GOD WE TRUST," "LIBERTY," "2022," and "NEGRO LEAGUES BASEBALL."

Reverse
Designer: Justin Kunz
Medallic Artist: Phebe Hemphill
The design shows a group of five Negro Leagues Baseball players. Inscriptions are "E PLURIBUS UNUM," "HALF DOLLAR," and "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA."
Pillar of the Community
United States
2618 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2021  3:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Happy to see these won't be curved coins. If you ever find yourself looking for something to do in Kansas City, the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum is an amazing place.
Pillar of the Community
United States
509 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2021  3:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bzookaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the silver dollar design, although it seems a little generic to baseball. Any images of the Jackie Robinson medal yet?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5584 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2021  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excited to add the dollar and 50 piece to my collection.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Valued Member
United States
331 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2021  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eagle4Life to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know why Congress can't find topic that would appeal to the masses and not their pet projects to raise money for. The last good commemorative was Apollo in 2019.
Valued Member
United States
437 Posts
 Posted 11/14/2021  9:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Raised on rock to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How about a Morgan and Peace dollar commemorative. LOL
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8059 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2021  08:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I like the silver dollar design, although it seems a little generic to baseball.

While I agree, the overall design is fairly indistinct (especially the obverse) the batter on the reverse is depicted wearing a cap of the Kansas City Monarchs. The Monarchs are quite possibly the most famous of the Negro Leagues teams.

They were an organized club longer than any other Negro League team, they had only one losing season in their Negro Leagues history, they won 10 league titles and two Negro League World Series titles. The club featured such famous future MLB'ers as Ernie Banks, Cool Papa Bell, Satchel Paige and Jackie Robinson. Buck O'Neil, the first African-American coach in the Major Leagues (for the Chicago Cubs in 1962) also played for the Monarchs; after his playing days, he went on to be the club's manager for a number of years.

O'Neil was instrumental in the creation of the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum in Kansas City (the sponsor/financial beneficiary of the coins). I visited the museum a number of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the history it presented. I also met the man at a baseball memorabilia show a few years before he died; I enjoyed my conversation with him!

IMO, baseball's Negro Leagues are an important facet of American history, and certainly worthy of being remembered and commemorated.

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
11/15/2021 08:31 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
8059 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2021  08:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't know why Congress can't find topic that would appeal to the masses and not their pet projects to raise money for.

In general, commemorative coin proposals are not conceived by individual Representatives or Senators, the idea for a coin or coin program is brought to them by a local group they represent; these groups almost always have a particular, specific focus.

The Representative/Senator is simply responding to the request of his/her constituents. Remaining popular among those who elected you is a powerful motivator!

Collecting history one coin or medal at a time! (c) commems. All rights reserved.
Edited by commems
11/15/2021 4:46 pm
Learn More...
United States
114935 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2021  11:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Happy to see these won't be curved coins.
Amen!

I like the silver dollar and anticipate I will be buying the dollar and Jackie Robinson medal set. I wish the would do more of those. I would buy two sets this year if they did the Purple Heart silver dollar with an appropriate one.
Valued Member
United States
258 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2021  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Erscolo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another "commemorative" to pass on. Keeping just with the proof set, silver proof set, uncirculated set and the two innovation proof sets keep the costs down and the collection much more manageable. I do also get the Canadian uncirculated coin set and the proof set, the one with the coins struck in their circulation composition.
Edited by Erscolo
11/15/2021 2:43 pm
Valued Member
United States
491 Posts
 Posted 11/15/2021  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cheap boxes and several damaged coins I got from the Mint this year. I don't plan on buying much from them next year. I'll be mostly stacking generic silver/gold bullion.
Valued Member
United States
331 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2022  08:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Eagle4Life to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Anyone plan on getting these coins today? Wonder how fast that 20K unit privy coin will go...
Learn More...
United States
114935 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2022  10:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Anyone plan on getting these coins today?
I am getting the silver dollar and medal set.
Valued Member
United States
263 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2022  11:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Lunch Money to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am planning to try to get the half dollar and the privy dollar. Although the mintage is low, maybe the limited interest will work out so that anyone wanting one can get it if they are quick.
Learn More...
United States
114935 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2022  11:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Although the mintage is low, maybe the limited interest will work out so that anyone wanting one can get it if they are quick.

20 minutes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
618 Posts
 Posted 01/06/2022  11:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have decided to pass on these. Just got my 2021 Unc Law Enforcement $1 and Innovation Proof set. Returning both of them, spots on every coin. I think I am passing on everything this year but Proof Morgan / Peace.
Page: of 7 Previous TopicReplies: 104 / Views: 5,093Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: