Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

First Coin In United States Mint American Women Quarters Program (Maya Angelou) Available February 7

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 567Next Topic  
Press Manager
Learn More...
United States
1420 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2022  12:48 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CCFPress to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
First Coin In United States Mint American Women Quarters Program (Maya Angelou) Available February 7
2022, February 7, 7

US Mint - On February 7, at noon EST, the United States Mint (Mint) will begin accepting orders for products featuring the first coin in the American Women Quarters Program. The coin honors writer, poet, performer, social activist, and teacher Maya Angelou.

Angelou rose to international prominence as an author after the publication of her groundbreaking autobiography, "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings." Angelou's published works of verse, non-fiction, and fiction include more than 30 bestselling titles. Her remarkable career encompasses dance, theater, journalism, and social activism. The recipient of more than 30 honorary degrees, Angelou read "On the Pulse of Morning" at the 1992 inauguration of President Bill Clinton.#8239; Angelou's reading marked the first time an African American woman wrote and presented a poem at a Presidential inauguration. In 2010, President Barack Obama awarded Angelou the Presidential Medal of Freedom, and she was the 2013 recipient of the Literarian Award, an honorary National Book Award for contributions to the literary community.

The coin's reverse (tails) design depicts Maya Angelou with her arms uplifted. Behind her are a bird in flight and a rising sun, images inspired by her poetry and symbolic of the way she lived. It was designed by United States Mint Artistic Infusion Program Designer Emily Damstra and sculpted by United States Mint Medallic Artist Craig A. Campbell. Inscriptions are "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA," "MAYA ANGELOU," "E PLURIBUS UNUM," and "QUARTER DOLLAR."

The obverse (heads) depicts a portrait of George Washington, originally composed and sculpted by Laura Gardin Fraser to mark George Washington's 200th birthday. A recommended design for the 1932 quarter, then-Treasury Secretary Mellon ultimately selected the familiar John Flannigan design. Inscriptions are "LIBERTY," "IN GOD WE TRUST," and "2022." The obverse design is common to all quarters issued in the series.

Product options and pricing are below.

PRODUCT CODE   PRODUCT OPTION   MINT MARK   PRICE

22WBA          100-Coin Bag         P       $40.00

22WBB          100-Coin Bag         D       $40.00

22WRA          Two-Roll Set        P, D     $36.00

22WRB          Three-Roll Set    P, D, S    $54.00

Coins in bags are produced at the Philadelphia and Denver Mint facilities. The three-roll set contains coins from Philadelphia, Denver, and San Francisco.

Check out Maya Angelou quarters on ebay.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6437 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2022  1:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like they did away with the bags of the "S" quarters to pump up the sales of the P" and "D" rolls of quarters.

The mint just playing games!
Pillar of the Community
United States
500 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2022  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bzookaj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not offering individual rolls of S- mint quarters makes passing on this much easier.
Valued Member
United States
91 Posts
 Posted 02/02/2022  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinnewcomer1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that the premium they have on the rolls is ridiculous. TO get the S roll you have to pay a 250% premium as each quarter comes to about 90 cents.

For now I will pass. If sales of these tanks I will get the PDS just for the low mintage of the S and only from one of the Women Quarters, not all 4.
Learn More...
United States
113444 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2022  10:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bags and rolls never appealed to me. Just give me the proof, silver proof, and uncirculated Mint sets and I will call it good.
Valued Member
United States
91 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2022  11:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinnewcomer1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yup I agree jbuck but the problem is the US Mint never includes the S business strikes in the Mint sets as well as the American Innovation Dollars (or any new issues of Presidential dollars such as the Bush one). It keeps mintages modest but it affords the US Mint an opportunity to gouge collectors. What I wish they would do is offer a Mint set with these coins -- at a high price - for collectors to get. The Royal Mint does this so why can't the US Mint do so?

One option to save a little money is to buy on the secondary market these PDSS sets or when the Ws were around PDSSW. It is still expensive for the premium but I think a good option to get one design you may be completely smitten with.
Learn More...
United States
113444 Posts
 Posted 02/03/2022  11:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It would be nice if the mint included those in the sets, but I have found them readily available at coins shows where some dealers have bought bags/rolls. I am sure many of them will send the gems off for grading, but there are plenty of decent ones available singly which is how I have been filling those holes. Of course, I have not been to a coin show in two years so I have a small backlog.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 567Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: