Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Reference For Abnc Vignettes?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 302Next Topic  

United Kingdom
36 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  10:34 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ColonialCoinsUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have some world banknotes printed by ABNC and some of the vignettes have C reference numbers. As a world coin collector, and very new to banknotes, I just wondered whether there was a reference for all the ABNC vignettes?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3644 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  12:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have many American Bank Note Corporation engravings. The majority have no reference, some have a name, and the rarest version are examples with both name and a number. Here is an unusual ABNC engraving called Quadriga and has number 82. It would make sense that all of them would have a reference number.

Pillar of the Community
United States
3644 Posts
 Posted 01/22/2022  6:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SteveInTampa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's another ABNC engraving I own, the Florida coat of arms #796.

United Kingdom
36 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2022  04:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ColonialCoinsUK to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thankyou both, I think the engraving is fantastic but it looks like there may not be a complete list/book somewhere - although the Florida coat of arms maybe No 796!
Pillar of the Community
United States
583 Posts
 Posted 01/26/2022  10:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
By "reference" do you mean a catalog or spreadsheet where all the vignette numbers are linked to the pictures or descriptions? To that, unfortunately, I can assure you there is not. I would love it if there was. Understand that by the time American Bank Note was bought by U.S. Banknote Corp. in 1990, ABNC had nearly 100,000 vignette numbers. These included engravings that they inherited from all the smaller bank note companies they absorbed over the years, like Western BNC, International, Continental, etc.

My understanding is that all the ABNC corporate documents now reside at the Museum of American Finance in NYC -- https://www.moaf.org That would be where records of all the portraits, vignettes, frames, ornaments, etc. exist, and their uses. But apparently no one has taken the time to delve into these, which I'm sure would be a massive endeavor. We can only wait and hope.
Edited by GregAlex
01/26/2022 10:02 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 302Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: