Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2009 Coins Are Out There, Right?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 1,511Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
58 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2022  01:31 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add HCIX to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I know why there's not many to find but they have to be out there somewhere. I've been doing my families birth years (my husband and I, our 5 kids and now 4 grandsons 3 of which are done except quarters. 2 more on the way I haven't started cause they're not here and I don't know when I'll see a 2022 anyway. And yes at least 1 is also a boy not a granddaughter in sight so far) and I have one 2009 penny D professional life. That's it. No quarter no nickel no dime. Now I didn't start this so very long ago I suppose if I had started before at least then I'd have found them when they were new. But are they impossible now?
It's gotten to point I'm filling his spaces with other things. A couple quarters we had a joke about since I thought they were the same. The newest being a 1947 nickel he found in his pocket change(he's super happy it's older than any nickel I have btw). I don't have money to bother looking online so does that mean I'll never fill his spots?
Pillar of the Community
United States
603 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2022  06:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PlumCrazy814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 2009 pennies are difficult to find in circulation from my experience. I can only presume this is because of the unique designs for this year. People must be hoarding them even though the vast majority of them are only worth a penny. I can't say I've tried other denominations for 2009 so I have no real experience with those. I finally decided the best thing to do was to just buy uncirculated and proof sets to get the pennies for that year. They are abundantly available for reasonable prices. I suggest you attend a coin show where the dealer concentration produces more competition. Good luck.
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2022  06:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HCIX to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you plum crazy. I should consider coin shows again. Ita been several years since ive been. Was sold counterfeit coina last time and didnt know for a long long time. But if it'll find my son's year I'll go back. Also apparently there were less coins made period that year, or so ive read, in general. People had less money and used coins they had saved putting lota back in circulation so they didnt need to make as many. Now I hope that's not wrong info so please check it out yourself before believing it lolol
Pillar of the Community
United States
8515 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2022  07:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
They're out there. As the weeks, months, and years go by, I search through a very large number of coins--the key is volume. For reasons we all pretty much understand, 2009 coins aren't found in abundance, but they do turn up now and then. Volume and persistence--it does take time. Of course, a quicker way to gather them is to tap into coin shops, coin shows, and online sources.
Pillar of the Community
United States
603 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2022  07:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PlumCrazy814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Was sold counterfeit coina last time and didnt know for a long long time.

So sorry to hear that. Keep in mind that you may be able to take a picture and post here for opinions prior to purchasing if you can get the file size within the constraints. Sometimes the responses are within minutes. I am certain that you do not have to worry about counterfeit 2009 US coins, though. Best of luck!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2303 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2022  09:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the 12 years I've searched through my pocket change, I've yet to find a 2009 nickel or dime. I had to purchase them to complete my Dansco albums. I've seen a fair number of the cents and quarters, though.
"Nummi rari mira sunt, si sumptus ferre potes." - Christophorus filius Scotiae
Learn More...
United States
113515 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2022  10:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have found several 2009 nickels and dimes As well as some pennies. Keep looking there out there. Contact me if you're interested in getting some of what I have.
to the Community, Cyberrider4u!

Giveaways allowed, otherwise refer to the Buy/Sell/Trade Rules.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1667 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2022  10:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
According to the U.S. mint, 3,548,000,000 circulating 2009-dated coins were struck in 2009. Normally they are well over 12 Billion struck a year from all denominations for a long time.

The mint set is an option, but those coins had a satin finish that year and are slightly different than the circulation strikes. I'd say you really have to hunt to find them and actively get rolls, search, and turn in rolls and repeat over and over to get what you want at no cost. 2009s will be hard.

2009 Lincoln Cent Mintages
Philadelphia ... Denver

Birthplace
284,400,000 ... 350,400,000

Formative Years
376,000,000 ... 363,600,000

Professional Life
316,000,000 ... 336,000,000

Presidency
129,600,000 ... 198,000,000

2009 Jefferson nickel
Philadelphia ... Denver
39,840,000 ... 46,800,000

2009 Roosevelt dime
Philadelphia ... Denver
96,500,000 ... 49,500,000

2009 Quarters
Philadelphia ... Denver

District of Columbia Quarter
88,800,000 ... 83,600,000

Puerto Rico Quarter
86,000,000 ... 53,200,000

Guam Quarter
42,600,000 ... 45,000,000

American Samoa Quarter
39,600,000 ... 42,600,000

US Virgin Islands Quarter
41,000,000 ... 41,000,000

Northern Mariana Islands Quarter
37,600,000 ... 35,200,000

they are all lower mintage than normal, and are buried in the roughly 2-4x normal production rates of the years before and after. Quarters from 2009-2012 are also lower than normal mintages, 2012 P or D being the lowest and hardest to find. 2012 P Acadia National park at just under 21.6 million struck, and 2012 P or D Chaco culture right at 22 million each struck are the lowest of the ATB series. They are out there, there's just many more of many other dates out there than there are of them.

I hope this helps to understand what you are up against, it's not impossible, but it will take forever to randomly come across them in pocket change, if you are really searching for them, it increases the chances by a lot, and it will still take time to get "decent" examples, and that gets worse and worse every year of circulation.
Edited by Big-Kingdom
02/09/2022 10:50 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
705 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2022  11:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
2009 coins are difficult to find in the wild and nice specimens demand a premium. I got tired of trying to find them in the wild and those I did find were in undesirable condition. I went to a coin shop and bought the 2009 P and D mint set for $22. Not only are they special satin finish coins, but the cents are made of the old 95% copper composition. It is a large impressive set with a large quantity of coins (34 coins I think).
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
17447 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2022  5:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The 2009 pennies are difficult to find in circulation from my experience. I can only presume this is because of the unique designs for this year. People must be hoarding them even though the vast majority of them are only worth a penny.

I can attest to the Hoarding of these 2009 pennies .
Oh heck ,just realized I have over 50 OBW rolls ; All mints and reverse's .

In Memory of Butch L.
and Jim U. rest in peace .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9049 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2022  5:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you wish to buy a full clad proof set here is one on eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/265538574582

I Currently have the highest bid on this item, But if you want it, I won't bid on it again.

(if you do, make your bid end with what ever amount of dollars, but make it .14 cents so I will know it is you.)
Edited by Dearborn
02/09/2022 5:58 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3880 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2022  6:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've never seen a 2009 Nickel in circulation.

I do remember getting a few 2009 dimes; some I remember getting in change at the snack bar at the swimming pool we belonged to that year and then there were a few 2009-D's even that showed up in Southern Ohio and Southern Indiana that I came across.

I didn't really look at the quarters for the most part but I do have a proof and mint set from the US mint for 2009 so I do have examples of all of the coins for that year.

I do see the occasional 2009 Lincoln, usually an LP-1 (Birthplace) or LP-2 (Formative Years). Don't Think I've ever seen an LP-4 (Presidency) in circulation either.

And like T-Bop, I did stash some Lincoln rolls of each variety and mink mark - I have a bunch a LP-2 rolls I got at the release ceremony in 2009; drug the wife and two boys along and made them all stand in line for their 5 rolls. The boys kept theirs but the wife donated hers to me and then I waited in line a second time for another 5 rolls when they went and explored the park. It was a memorable trip to be honest.

Edited by KenKat
02/09/2022 6:51 pm
Valued Member
United States
58 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2022  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add HCIX to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Plum crazy thank you that is good to know and appreciated. Big kingdom very helpful hoping since I have lowest of 4 pennies made I might yet find others?!?! Wishful thinking huh lol. Kenkat I'm in Indiana so hope restored and also what is this release ceremony you're talking about? Would love more info on that please. Thanks Mr t that's not a bad price if I can find it for that also. Dearborn from the bottom of my heart thank you. That just made my day. Nobody is that nice anymore. But thank you. Although I can't take you up on the offer I truly appreciate your kindness bump looks like I'll be buying too eventually but I'll try looking for a little while longer
Edited by HCIX
02/09/2022 8:47 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3880 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2022  6:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KenKat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@HCIX, in 2009 the mint held release ceremonies for each of the four Lincoln cents. The first was held at Lincoln's birthplace in Hogdenville, KY. Thought about going to that one but didn't get organized. The second, which I DID go to, was in Lincoln City, IN - not too far north from Louisville, KY. I'm pretty familiar with that general area as I worked for a few weeks on a project in Jasper and we've also been to Corydon and French Lick for weekend trips as well. The third ceremony was in Springfield, IL. Was close to going to that one but couldn't arrange it schedule wise. And then the final one was in Washington, DC - pretty far from me so a no go.

Anyway, the release ceremony was a great experience. Rained like all get out all the way there but the skies cleared right as we got to the park. Listened to a short ceremony and then we headed to wait in line to buy rolls. They gave a single coin to each kid as we left the ceremony, so my two boys were among the first to get their hands on a 2009 Formative Years cent. Some people then were waiting in a long line to get the rolls stamped at the Lincoln City post office but we just headed home since it was a 2+ hour drive back to Cincinnati. Great time overall though.
Edited by KenKat
02/10/2022 6:03 pm
United States
9 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2022  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cuprozakium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As others have said, it is true that 2009-minted coins were produced in significantly smaller quantities than in previous years. They're honestly not that difficult to find though. Whenever I CRH cents, I typically find a 2009 every 5 rolls or so. Maybe it's just luck.
Pillar of the Community
United States
539 Posts
 Posted 03/06/2022  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wulffy11 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found two 2009-P dimes from circulation in the last few weeks. They are out there!
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 27 / Views: 1,511Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.7 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: