Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1973 Lincoln Cent Spiral Error?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 740Next Topic
Page: of 2
Canada
12 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2022  08:58 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add M TeK 9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hey everyone. Ive come across an odd coin and I'm not sure what to make of it. The markings you see are physical and can be felt with your fingers. Like a crack in the coin. But not a crack. And the error is underneath the lettering so its not post production damage.

Does anyone know what this might be?

I hope I didn't upload any duplicates. Itsca long process using the site esitor on my phone do I apologize if I have.

Edited by M TeK 9
02/09/2022 08:59 am
Valued Member
United States
256 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2022  11:40 am  Show Profile   Check 3193zd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 3193zd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wow never seen that before. Does the impression match the colored swirl completely?
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
21876 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2022  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wwwwwaaaaayyyyyyy too many pics! (Almost 4MB)

It's nothing that can happen during the minting process. How it happened is not relevant.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58041 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2022  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This was in a cup holder in a car for sometime. The coin was mixed with other coins and various drinks altered the surface of the coin. Not a mint error, just stains and slight acid damage to the coin. Spender.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1165 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2022  4:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
and with both bobby and coop.
Canada
12 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2022  6:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add M TeK 9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes the impression matches the markings.

If its as you fellas say it is, how come the damage does not occur on the letters as well? If it was surface damage from a cup holder, its unquestionable that the letters would also be physically indented and stained just the sane as the other areas. How would something physically alter the coins background area but somehow precisely avoid the perforated letters?

In fact if you look at where the marking come down crossing the monument's roof, there are small cracks that run through yhe marking.

I dont think this is a cup holder stain fellas. &

(Apologies for so many pics. I just wanted to give a good view of what's going on here)
Edited by M TeK 9
02/09/2022 6:28 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9000 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2022  6:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
it looks like a stain of some sort, I think that the reason you don't see it on the devices (the letters) is because they are the high point and was probably rubbed off while in circulation.
The reason you can see it on the memorial is because the stain is left in the many close together low spots and not rubbed off. Notice the steps in picture 11. the high points of the steps are shiny and the little nooks and crannies are dark...
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
21876 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2022  6:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How it happened is irrelevant. If you spend an hour or 2 researching the minting process you will understand that this cannot happen.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68841 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2022  6:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree, cup-holder coin and monster pic overload.

to the CCF!
Canada
12 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2022  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add M TeK 9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok but to clarify, its not a stain. Its a physically indented marking that can be felt with your fingers and runs underneath the perforated areas.

Also There is no sign of wear on the areas where it crosses the letters that would suggest it was rubbed off, even though that is irrelevant because its a physical marking and not a surface stain.

Is it not possible some debris or grease found its way on to the coin during pressing?

Contrary to bobbys "certainty", the fact thats its a physical property that runs beneath the letters would absolutely make "how" it happened quite relevant.

You reply as if its impossible that something you are currently unaware of could ever be discovered.

Edited by M TeK 9
02/09/2022 7:12 pm
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
21876 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2022  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Hey, since you're sure it's an error fork out the dough and send it to NGC or PCGS. Be sure to tell them it's a "Spiral Error" so they can put it on the label.

Quote:
You reply as if its impossible that something you are currently unaware of could ever be discovered.

Since there have been trillions upon trillions upon trillions upon trillions of coins minted on the type of presses used today over many decades, smart money says all types of errors have been discovered and you don't have a brand new never happened before error.
Canada
12 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2022  7:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add M TeK 9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, to be honest I was hoping the community here would be a bit more curious and insightful opposed to the dismissive and borderline hostile replies that ive received.

I mean, id really appreciate and be thankful if you could share your realistic thoughts on what could cause such a physical defect that runs underneath the lettering and images.

Would it not strongly suggest that the markings were present on the planchet prior to the pressing of the lettering and momument?

In addition, you can faintly see the markings on the obverse where it runs just beneath "in god we trust" that match up with the bottom markings on the reverse.

Canada
12 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2022  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add M TeK 9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sigh...

Nevermind. I see your edited addition to your last post.

Thank you very much for your input.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
21876 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2022  7:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Would it not strongly suggest that the markings were present on the planchet prior to the pressing of the lettering and momument?

You don't think that if they were there before striking they would be obliterated when struck with 50 or so tons of pressure?
Canada
12 Posts
 Posted 02/09/2022  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add M TeK 9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe something was on the planchet when the lettering and imaging was smashed with that 50 tons of pressure?

Seems a lot more plausible than something physically impressing into the coin and even causing a small crack, but somehow managing to precisely avoid impressing the high points like the lettering while sitting in a cup holder.

The latter just doesn't seem possible without physically impressing the high points as well.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9000 Posts
 Posted 02/10/2022  08:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well at this point, I would you sent it in for attribution. The best (and cheapest) one to send it to would be ANACS, as they will also notate more notable things that are out of the norm than the other two big TPG's.
If you do send it in, please come back here and report your findings for us to see.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 740Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: