Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2007 Dime Possible Retained Struck Through Or Die Gouge On Reverse? Update: Die Crack!

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,072Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

Canada
3099 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2022  09:53 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This one has be a little confused. At first I thought just a scratch but after a closer look it's definitely raised. It seems to straight to be a die crack. I suppose it could be a scratch that rust formed under making it raised? Idk what do you guys think? I can try and get some better pictures.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15199 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2022  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Possibly a linear plating bubble although I have never seen one on a dime.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3099 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2022  10:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Possibly a linear plating bubble although I have never seen one on a dime.

Didn't think about that possibility, I could give it a little push and see if it has any give to it. It looks to rough to be a plating bubble, the edges of it are not smooth like iv seen on plating bubbles but iv also never seen one on a dime so possible. What would be the best way to differentiate it from plating bubble, die crack/gouge, or retailed struck through?
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3099 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2022  1:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So tri d taking a picture with my phone through my loupe and I think I can use this technique from now on, idk why I never tried before. Iv been told it's a die crack and I agree I have just never seen one like this on a modern clad coin.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4344 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2022  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Without seeing it in hand, I don't think that it's a die crack. D/C's start at a significant change of direction in the die design or where only thin pieces of metal separate some of the design elements ... and they seldom go all the way through a design element. They start on sharp angled letter parts (like the tips of serifs or feet of lettering) but other sharp-change die design elements. Many start in the beading or denticles on those dies that have them. Unless a die was getting ready to split in pieces, I've never seen one that starts on the absolute edge of the coin.. But I don't think that it's strike-through either, because it's on top of and rising from designs elements.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3099 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2022  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But I don't think that it's strike-through either, because it's on top of and rising from designs elements.

That's kind of why I though maybe a retained struck through a metal shaving or something. But the bead and 1 that it passes on top of are slightly effected, the bead design isn't erased it's shoved over, the one when I look really close looks like it's broken and does not line up properly from the top and bottom portions of the 1. That's why I also thought damage but it's definitely raised.

I can get some better photos, if needed. this is my first time taking a photo through my loupe and it works well. I'm lost on this one it's an interesting though. Hope we can conclude something. I trust the opinion given to me though. So hopefully the better pics can clear things up. Iv seen people do this before but never tried so I'm glad it looks like better pics.
Edited by Wrekkdd
02/27/2022 2:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3099 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2022  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Checked coins and Canada and it's on there as a die crack so it's a die crack for sure. Or at least no way it's a struck through since there is more then one example.

Fifth example in die errors and varieties.https://www.coinsandcanada.com/coin...022#erreur-6
Edited by Wrekkdd
02/27/2022 3:57 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3099 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2022  8:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe the struck through 200x dime I posted before is actually a 2007 dime and the struck though caused the die to crack:p
Edited by Wrekkdd
02/27/2022 8:26 pm
Valued Member
Canada
171 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2022  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SP67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a really nice Die Crack.
There's at least two of them, now, based on the CaC reference.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4344 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2022  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've never seen a die crack as straight as the CaC reference, nor seen one that goes the the exact edge of the coin, and I don't believe that everything in CaC is accurate.
Valued Member
Canada
171 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2022  09:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SP67 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I understand your point for CaC.

But, the point is that two identical coins have been found.
The defect is rised. So we can certainly conclude to a Die Deterioration. A die crack in this case.

I found many die cracks form mint roll search. Few of them are quite huge and straight.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3099 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2022  10:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Some sort of die event for sure, looks die cracky to me lol but I suppose die gouge would suprise me. Definitely a neat find and I agree I have never seen a die crack like this considering I don't see heavy Die Deterioration on the rest of the coin.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8849 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2022  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice find!
Keen eye!
I don't think it's a gouge, the recessed parts of the die such as the 1 are equally affected.

BTW; There are no clad Canadian coins, they are plated, huge difference between plated and clad.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3099 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2022  11:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

BTW; There are no clad Canadian coins, they are plated, huge difference between plated and clad.

Thanks I'm bad for mixing up my terminology lol, so clad is when metals are mixed? Iv. Ever actually looked up the definition of what cladding is or w.e I'm gonna do it now, Plated is self explanatory lol. I don't think it's a gouge either I just like like to use absolutes about something I can't give an absolute answer to. Labeled it die crack though:) good thing I didn't just brush it off right away as damage before getting a closer look.

Edit:I see now, clad is layered metal.
Edited by Wrekkdd
02/28/2022 12:07 pm
Learn More...
Canada
10189 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2022  3:36 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Most definitely a die crack. Good eye.

And yes, die cracks can be long and straight: http://goccf.com/t/411773
"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Pillar of the Community
Canada
973 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2022  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On these smaller coins you don't have die cracks as frequently as some of the larger coins.
Here's a 1998 I put away a few years back and it has a similar looking die crack although on the obverse, maybe this is just the way these small dies crack.

Cheers, Bill
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,072Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: