Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cherry Pickers Guide On A Budget

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 594Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
588 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2022  9:01 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Are there any lists of varieties for any classic (including Mercury dimes) coins that are worth around $50+ ?

Cherry Pickers Guide is pretty expensive.

I enjoy looking for errors and varietes but when I search for a specific coin it is overwhelming to look for every one, and they aren't exactly listed from highest to lowest price.

Instead I am interested in looking for ones that carry a premium, instead of a few dollars.

I've found Buffalo nickels 38 d/d and d/s but those aren't worth much in low circulated grade.

I am currently looking for Snow varieties but not every one has a picture on the indianvarietes site.

Also, I then find myself having to search ebay for that specific snow variety to see it it carries a premium, because not all do.

Does the Cherry Picker's Guide have all of the major varieties worth looking for?

I might need to just break down and buy one.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2197 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2022  11:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kbbpll to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can get the Kindle versions for $14.39.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1191 Posts
 Posted 04/24/2022  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Check Collects82's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Why not flip those lower value coins? By the time you find the needle in the haystack varieties, you could have made as much if not more $ cumulatively. 100 x $10 is still $1k and most of us would be thrilled to turn that kind of revenue cherry-picking.
My hoard of '82s is up to 241! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 382 x 1, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 4, 1082 x 1 1182 x 8, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 6, 1582 x 13, 1682 x 17, 1782 x 60, 1882 x 68, 1982 x 45
Pillar of the Community
United States
588 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2022  03:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
kbbpll- Thank you I did not know that existed

Collects82- I knew it wouldn't take long before someone said something in that vein.

I've found a multitude of the lower value varieties, and due to time constraints and where I am right now, I feel like the ones with a bit of a premium are more worth it.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45121 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2022  04:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
5653 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2022  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter27 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would look at the digital version of the CPG and try to buy that. The CPG is the go-to place for some nicer varieties (just don't go off of the values in the CPG). The values on CPG varieties are usually higher than most that aren't listed in the CPG since they are recognized by the big TPG's.

As far as finding varieties worth $50+, it might take a while. There is plenty to be found on eBay but it takes searching and patience. I might spend 1-2 hours a day looking through eBay listings periodically until I find something noteworthy and I often won't even pick it up if I don't really want it or already have it. Sometimes I scroll through hundreds of listings of the same coin looking for one variety and come out unsuccessful. It's the luck of the draw and having the knowledge to know what you're looking for.

So my advice to you is to start with acquiring the knowledge, recognizing and familiarizing yourself with varieties, their markers, and their value. I suggest using sold eBay listings to determine the values of varieties as well. Best of luck!

-CH27
Collector of U.S. Coins, Varieties, and Colonial Coinage
Pillar of the Community
United States
1191 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2022  1:06 pm  Show Profile   Check Collects82's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Collects82- I knew it wouldn't take long before someone said something in that vein.

I've found a multitude of the lower value varieties, and due to time constraints and where I am right now, I feel like the ones with a bit of a premium are more worth it.

My goal isn't to come off snarky here, please don't take it as such.

One hand you are looking for a budget copy of a resource to do your job, cause the Cherry Picker's Guide is "too expensive". But on the other hand selling what you have found, even though they might only be a stack of $5 coins is "not worth the time." As you have found a few 1938 D/D and D/S, that should cover most of the book if you bothered to sell them, no?

I am working on a set of Snow varieties for the 1882 Indian cents and I always appreciate a buffalo variety. For the 1882, some rather obscure stuff like misplaced dates in the denticles. But unless the coin itself is AU/BU, the obscure varieties don't drive much premiums to $50+. It's not they aren't rare or cool, just VERY few buyers propping up prices. Supply and demand do wonky things to an arbitrary price. In 10 years, you might regret tossing a bunch of those 2022 low values varieties with little guarantee you found many of what is currently of a $50+ value, and those varieties currently with demand might loose it too.

Enjoy the hobby :)
My hoard of '82s is up to 241! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 382 x 1, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 4, 1082 x 1 1182 x 8, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 6, 1582 x 13, 1682 x 17, 1782 x 60, 1882 x 68, 1982 x 45
Edited by Collects82
04/25/2022 1:22 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
588 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2022  5:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Collects82- You don't sound snarky, you're kool.

I have been engrossed in this hobby for awhile now and as we all know a lot are older folks, so I've been through and heard quite a bit of snarky haha.

You end up building thick skin or you can't hang.

I do need to sell them, you're right.

That way I can afford the necessary books etc.

I can be a fast learner, therefore I'm hoping I am able to cram 20 years of experience into 10 so to speak.

I appreciate everyone helping and adding input.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68882 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2022  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have the Fifth Edition Vol. 1 unused (2009) available for no charge except postage. PM me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
588 Posts
 Posted 04/25/2022  9:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PM sent
United States
19 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2022  10:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KerryKz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Think this maybe of help.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 594Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.37 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: