Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Lincoln Shield Cent Error?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 411Next Topic  

United States
15 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  9:26 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Doubled1980 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Pillar of the Community
United States
521 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  10:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add halfamind to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One coin per thread, please, to avoid confusion.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9050 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  10:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
wow, ok too many coins to choose from here, as stated, please only one coin per topic please.
So to choose one from above - pictures 6 through 10 is a very damaged cent. it looks like someone pressed it against another cent in a vise many, many, many times.....
as for the rest, scrolling up and down and counting the pictures is far too tiring for my old eyes here.
Valued Member
United States
209 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  10:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doubled1980, all you have is a bunch of damaged coins. None are worth more than face value.
Learn More...
United States
23694 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  10:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
None are worth more than face value.

I'd like to gently push back on that statement. Common date circulated wheat cents are generally worth 3 or 4 cents and the '42 Mercury dime (or are there two of them?) is/are worth several times face.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
209 Posts
 Posted 05/10/2022  10:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mb560600 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK Spence, I'll concede your point, particularly about the silver Mercury dime--or dimes?
Pillar of the Community
United States
8787 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  03:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the statements regarding one coin per thread. Otherwise it's frustrating to try to address individual coins. While I agree with Spence that a few of these are worth slightly more than face, but very little premium here. Also, in future posts, please remove your coins from plastic coverings. Thanks.
ša va bien aller

Bedrock of the Community
United States
45121 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  04:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Littleton coins are most times over graded and over priced,just a FYI.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
588 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  04:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Merc dime is silver so it's worth around 2 bucks, the Wheat cent is worth a few cents, the rest are face value.

Nothing special here but a bunch of damaged coins.
Valued Member
United States
459 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  08:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fplagge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"put back"? What does that mean?

If this has an obvious meaning, excuse my ignorance.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5512 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had the same thought fplagge.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58071 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On your first coin:
Coins squeezed with another coin will show:
1. A mirrored set of devices. (Dies only create the normal ones, the transference from other coins will not be correct, but mirrored.

2. Also note both sides will show the full design across both sides of the coin (weakened) both will be in the correct rotation and visible.
3. The coins struck by the die that are not in a collar, will not show the rim, like a transferred image from another coin.

Note on this one, you can see where the step-down for the gutter is on one side of the coin, but the rim that we see on your coin, screams, that it was squeezed with another coin. Not on this one, the collar was not in place and was struck out of the collar.
4. Only one side will shown affected on an altered coin. If it were a mint error you would expect to see two sets of images:

This one is a double struck example rotated in the collar, thus you see to sets of strikes. (The first one is weakened by the second stronger strike:

So if the coins are altered, they a just cull coins now. But as mentioned, one coin is better. The confusion of dealing with many coins at once, is like being in a waiting room and being diagnost. How accurate would it be if the doctor gave only one diagnosis for the whole group? Each patient needs to be looked at to determine the issue. Thus the reason for a single coin per thread. If you have coins with the same issues, then only post one, then you will know what has happened to the rest that look like. We are here to instruct on what you have. So expect to hear more than you expect on your coins. But a damage coin is often just a face value coin. (unless it is a silver melt coin, then it will be worth more than face value)

CoopHome: What would you expect to see on a coin squeezed onto the surface of another coin? What should not be seen on a real double struck coin?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Learn More...
United States
113522 Posts
 Posted 05/11/2022  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
One coin per thread, please, to avoid confusion.
The other coins were removed from this topic. Please post them separately in their own topics. You do not need to upload them again. Click on the 'My Previous Uploads' link under the New Topic text entry box.
United States
15 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2022  7:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doubled1980 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"put back" as to what I meant by put back is I have some coins that I really could use some thoughts on so "put back" means set aside
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 411Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.46 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: