Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1994 D Nickel Weird Ring Error Or ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 258Next Topic  

United States
3 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  02:28 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mkd1308 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi, I found this nickel and it's a 1994 D. The rim of it is rugged. Anyone see this before? Wondering if it's an error or just damaged .
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45152 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  04:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
. Could use a close up but most likely is PMD.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Learn More...
United States
23731 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  07:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@mkd, I'm struggling to see how this could have happened during striking. I agree it must be damage of some sort.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
8543 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  07:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Closer-in, large and sharp photo needed. Highly unlikely the coin left the striking chamber with that feature.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68974 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  09:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Large closeup, please.

to the CCF!
Valued Member
United States
433 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oddguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
if the marks are on both sides then maybe it was put in a vice or pliers.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
45152 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  09:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Might be a mint cello sealing machine damage we will not know without better pics.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58102 Posts
 Posted 05/16/2022  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Post strike damage. If it were a die issue, it would be raised and not incuse on that area. Why does this make a difference? If there is a void on a die from a die crack/chip/break or damage to the die, it leaves a void on the die, thus the coins will show a raised area from the void that is now on the die. Thus if it were a die issue, there would be a raised area above the rim, called rim cud. It would look like this:

So if the anything comes in contact with the rim on your coin, it will leave it's calling card as damage to the coin. That is what you are seeing. As mentioned if shown on both sides of the coin, it could be pliers or if on one side if could of been damaged on a file, leaving these mini lines on the edge. What ever happened, it is just damage to a coin. Not a mint error.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
05/16/2022 11:35 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9158 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 258Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: