Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1922 Half Penny With Dot Above P

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 341Next Topic  
Valued Member
Australia
81 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2022  02:39 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add debono to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all

I am struggling to get a clear photo but the dot is the standard dot that sits just above the P in Penny. The coin itself is probably around fine grade?
I haven't found any of these in a quick google search?

Valued Member
Australia
81 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2022  04:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add debono to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's the close up. Dot is same size as dot the Y dots by the look. In 1922 Sydney used Melbourne dies. So could the dot represent the 1922 coins produced in 1923?

"In 1922 the Sydney Branch of The Royal Mint produced sixpence and halfpenny coins for the Commonwealth using dies supplied from Melbourne. In 1923 the future of the Sydney Mint looked very uncertain (it was eventually closed in 1926) but they did strike 1,113,600 halfpenny pieces that year. However no 1923 dated dies had been supplied; the entire issue of this denomination in 1923 bore the date 1922.
Pillar of the Community
Australia
775 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2022  06:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Basil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
In 1922 Sydney used Melbourne dies. So could the dot represent the 1922 coins produced in 1923?

Doubtful,just a Die flaw probably,i have a box of 1922 halves somewhere and will try and find them this W/end and check how widespread the Dot is.
Also I read(50 years ago) where Melbourne was preparing 1922 3d Dies,no 'M', for Sydney but went ahead with the Minting themselves for whatever reason.
Hard to sort fact from fiction back then especially on the Sydney Mint side of things,absymal record keeping and laughable security amongst other things..
Valued Member
Australia
81 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2022  06:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add debono to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Basil. I would lay money that it is a dot (but I have been wrong before). It does concern me though that so far I have looked at all the internet pics of 1922 half pennies and not seen another with a dot. It is identical under a loupe to other dots I have on Y dot Pennies but it is small. Really appreciate you checking your ones!
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2014 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2022  06:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Small dots like that aren't uncommon on predecimal coins - a journal article a few years ago suggested they're from rust spots on the die.
It's probably not a mintmark - letters were considered for mint marks at some point (late 1910s?) but the government said no so that the mints could use dies interchangeably. Then they changed their mind about that in 1940.
Valued Member
Australia
81 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2022  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add debono to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Mr T. I guess that would suggest that there is more 'error' (rust spots) in the same place out there. Hopefully some can be shown here also.
Valued Member
Australia
81 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2022  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add debono to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Juts noticed your expertise on Farthings Mr T. Could you comment on my 1935 one I have posted about in the UK section?
Pillar of the Community
Australia
2014 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2022  03:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mr T to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes most likely there are others like this.

I think I already did though perhaps on another forum.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 341Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: