Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1892 Morgan For Thoughts

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 376Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1443 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  11:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Not my coin.
Can you take anything away from these NGC Pics?
They are better than the seller pics.
NGC pics tend to be very bright.

Edited by JasonKflo
05/27/2022 12:04 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
6437 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2022  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Dead luster. Dipped a few times too many in the blue pool.
Edited by westernsky
05/26/2022 11:52 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4123 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  12:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Can you take anything away from these NGC Pics?

NGC pics always have that reflective, lifeless, cleaned look about them and rarely if ever represent the surfaces accurately. Willing to bet the surfaces look far different in hand. Does look a bit over dipped from these. AU something
Pillar of the Community
United States
4634 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  01:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-55. Loss of luster is expected in an AU coin due to circulation wear so I'm not really seeing anything unusual or that wouldn't be market acceptable here.
Edited by fenton
05/27/2022 01:22 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1728 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  02:04 am  Show Profile   Check jacrispies's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU-55, not a splotch of toning, haze, or staining. Remaining luster is weak. Overdipped...
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10498 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  08:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We have PCGS truview glamour shots that make coins look too good and now NGC cell phone images that make coins look terrible.
This one looks AU and beyond that I'm not sure...
1883-O Nut
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
68842 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  08:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say not less than AU-58.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8508 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  08:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I could see AU55. Hesitate to comment further given the iffy nature of the pics.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12207 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2022  10:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
this is actually an excellent strike for a 92(P) which is typically pretty weak. bonus points for strike on this one. a little too much lighting is washing out the surfaces for an accurate assessment. it appears from the photos that there is missing luster across the cheek and the coin has lost some its sparkle. could have been dipped but I dont think it was enough to details the coin. i'd say eye appeal is nothing to write home about but will not affect grade. I'm going against the grain on this one and say MS62 and if the luster looks better than these photos in hand I could go a notch higher.

this will be an interesting one to see the actual grade
Pillar of the Community
United States
1443 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2022  09:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one was actually AU-58 PL
I was trying for it as I have wanted A 1892 PL for years but I did not bid High Enough.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2838 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2022  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Late to the party. The grade looks spot on. No problem slider. That's a tough date in the higher grades. Some of the UNCs are really ugly, and a nice slider beats an ugly UNC any day.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
12207 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2022  08:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i have no idea how anyone could assign a PL designation using these photos
Pillar of the Community
United States
584 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2022  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KauaiHawaiiGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see some lines going from 8 o'clock to 2 o'clock but can't tell if they are hairlines or if this coin has been harshly cleaned. I darkend, clarified and enlarged that area to get a better view but still cant tell if they are just in the field or cross the writing.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9468 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2022  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Check paralyse's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paralyse to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would not buy that coin based on those photos. I wouldn't agree with 58 either except as a sharpness grade, there is no luster to speak of in these photos and the entire affect is dull and lifeless.
A PL 1892 is too much money for me to spend without the coin in hand to examine closely.
I'm not even sure this coin would truly be PL as it does not seem to have hardly any cameo contrast on the obverse.

Longhorn Coins & Exonumia
Member ANA - EAC - TNA - SSDC - CCT #890

"Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossible before they were done." -- Louis D. Brandeis
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 376Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: