Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1965 Washington Quarter

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 88 / Views: 3,151Next Topic
Page: of 6
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  8:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SunnyNinaD to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Got out of a snack machine, no it was not cleaned...on the reverse has deep indent (circled yellow area) and appears to have something under the metal (red circled area) Also take note of the right wing, do you see anything unusual? (Yellow highlighted area). I didn't realize until previewing this post but look below vines above the E & R in quarter. Do you see anything there?

As for the obverse, there is a possible die crack apparently that may have created large lump on E and Washington's head. Also review under ear and end of ponytail.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10314 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
8901 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2022  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Post-strike damage--likely exposure to extreme heat for a brief amount of time.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10314 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
9124 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  01:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Post mint damage. Looks like it was touched briefly by heat which caused the damage. It didn't leave the mint looking like this.
ša va bien aller

Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  02:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SunnyNinaD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your crayon remark is uncalled for and only showing your age...sad you can't read a picture book because all pics are there!

Did anyone look on obverse at ponytail end or under the ear? Under the vines on reverse? How much time did you actually look at this coin before just making determination?
Edited by SunnyNinaD
06/21/2022 02:28 am
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3308 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  03:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Your crayon remark is uncalled for and only showing your age...sad you can't read a picture book because all pics are there!

Though I can't speak for Dearborn I believe he was just harmlessly making a joke as it's hard to see with it in the way, though the other pictures don't have it. Also I believe he's like 60, alot of ancient members in here and some have a sense of humor, some call it as they see it.

As for the coin I agree with the everyone that it is heat damaged, a coin cannot get warped like that during the striking process, that fact that the event at the top shows through to the other side instantly tells us it's just damage. As for behind the pony tail it could be a small die clash from the eagle wing but even if so with the damage it wouldn't be worth anything above face value.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
58734 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  11:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It may have been altered and polished to remove the discoloration:

Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1479 Posts
 Posted 06/21/2022  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wrekkdd [ancient] That 'll be enough out of you young whippersnappers. Sunny, When you see enough heat damage, you don't need to look at a coin very long to knew it's heat damage.
Edited by Cujohn
06/21/2022 9:14 pm
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 06/27/2022  5:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SunnyNinaD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Wrekkdd and Coop for the valuable information. That's what I am looking for.

Like my momma always said if you can't something nicely (add in educational) don't say anything at all, please, no one needs to hear it. I come here to learn from those that know more than me. I don't need be made to feel like an idiot from know it all's or discouraged from continuing my new hobby I started on 9 months ago.
Edited by SunnyNinaD
06/27/2022 5:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2803 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2022  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was away from civilization for some time. @NINA: can you show me the rim of the coin? please. The E in liberty show melt metal on not high temperature and your coin it is an 1965 P.
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 07/13/2022  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SunnyNinaD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been away myself just reviewing my posts again...
Here are rims and a side by side with another 1965'er...side by side. I do see toning is a bit browner than other 1965. The reverse is the more interesting issue, the indent (opposite of lump on oberverse) if you notice the letters 'u' and 'e' did not change shape and notice the hook shape under the beak going under those letters. I can see how lump on head on obverse could be fire damage but not on reverse. Wouldn't fire damage melt the letters or flatten the letters?

Valued Member
United States
292 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2022  01:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JTCC to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, this coin is heat damaged, it was also cleaned after the fact.
I also agree with Dearborn that the highlight of the images is unnecessary and hides details from the image. Please apologize to him for your insulting comment.
Valued Member
United States
68 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2022  04:17 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SunnyNinaD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excuse me JTCC, I did not doubt Dearborn, but merely addressed another person's question. Perhaps you need to apologize to me and not post on my thread anymore. Thank you.

Ps this was not cleaned and came out coin came out of vending machine looking like this.
Edited by SunnyNinaD
07/14/2022 04:22 am
Learn More...
United States
114684 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2022  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe this was the reply JTCC is referencing...

Quote:
I see you included a photo of the coin without the highlights; not sure why Dearborn missed it. While he could have phrased his request differently, I am sure he had no malicious intent.

Let us all just take a deep breath and remember why we are here.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2803 Posts
 Posted 07/14/2022  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry to say, but this coin it is not an heat damage. Second 1965 side by side what you put are two different Observe hubs. The right it is an 1964 observe design and the left it is the legitim 1965 design.

On clad coins the heat do not react like this. The photos do not show very well what it is (cause focus) but this it is not heat coin.

PS More indicatives: One coin it is SMS coin and the other is normal strike.
Edited by silviosi
07/14/2022 6:19 pm
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 88 / Views: 3,151Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: