Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2011 LSC Micro O Mint Mark?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 598Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  6:39 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Volmot to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Would like opinions on this. Cannot be seen by naked eye but, under scope, appears to be a micro o or somewhat deformed D. I KNOW it's not actually from New Orleans but this mark reminds me of the micro o from Mercury dime so I'm just calling it that for now. Normal 2011-D shown for scale.

Edited by Volmot
07/04/2022 7:56 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3499 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  7:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

It looks like the coin may have a water spot or even a little bit of zinc rot. I'm about 99.999% sure it wasn't struck in New Orleans, as the mint was closed 102 years before this cent was struck.

I still can't be 100% sure, but that's just me,
ANA ID: 3203813 - CONECA ID: N-5637

Clothes Dryers are the Coin's natural enemy. NEVER store your coin collection in a dryer. This has been a Yokozuna Public Service Announcement. dryer coin
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10452 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think I'll up your percentage by .001 Yoko.
But I think that this microscopic dot is the very beginning of zinc rot - it has to begin somewhere.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  7:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Volmot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Yokozuna. It's clearly not a water spot or rot. I know New Orleans has been closed but couldn't think of anything else to call it. These pictures are not the best but this a very small letter o or a very small, slightly deformed letter D. It shows very well on my microscope but I cannot get that image transferred to my phone or computer and having to crop it down to 300 here makes even harder to see. Appreciate the response, thanks again.
Edited by Volmot
07/04/2022 7:38 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
70443 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coincident zinc rot.

to the CCF!
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Volmot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You guys really think this perfectly round raised o is zinc rot? Thanks for the opinions, I would have never guessed. Better pic attached.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10452 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes it is the start of zinc rot, the plating starts to bubble up and separate from the zinc core - eventually it will break open and you will see the core of the cent.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10452 Posts
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Volmot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How long does this process usually take?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2364 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  8:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bump111 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could also, perhaps, be a dropped letter.

Edit: is it raised or incuse?
"Nummi rari mira sunt, si sumptus ferre potes." - Christophorus filius Scotiae
Edited by Bump111
07/04/2022 9:00 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10452 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United States
8990 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2022  9:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking a plating issue, perhaps driven by a sub-surface zinc matter. That's an awful tiny feature to be considered a 'dropped' O/0 Beware Pareidolia.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1056 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  09:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smat45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The letter o from GOD...not from GOD but from the word...Not the word of GOD but...you get the point : )~
smat
Pillar of the Community
United States
9130 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please no monitor screen shots! Please use you phone's built in camera directly when photographing your coins. I agree with others, your coin is showing an imperfection which is the beginning of zinc rot. Keep searching!
ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3308 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  09:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Wrekkdd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Far to small to be a dropped letter, it's is zinc rot, most likely a small bubble in the plating burst.

You can find 2021 cents with much worse zinc rot, I don't bother with zinc cents much anymore though I still check for transitional errors on them. Does the USA use the term mule?
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2022  10:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Volmot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
DEARBORN: ..."eventually it will break open and you will see the core of the cent". When asking how long the process usually takes, this is what I was referring to. I wasn't clear when I asked and it sounded like I was asking when COOP would be in. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks everyone for you replies. I'll move on now...
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 598Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: