Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Would You Open Up These Slabbed LMC's?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 839Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
369 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2022  09:52 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dowhat to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I picked up a couple PCGS cents for hole fillers. 1996S PR69 RD DCAM & 1995S PR69RD DCAM. I bought the coins, not the slab. It is my intention to remove them from the slabs and fill the holes in the album. They sure look nice and do not have a lot of value. I think about $14 each average.
Certainly less than grading fees. They would look better in my album than in confinement.
Good idea or not? I do not collect stabbed coins. Tell me your thoughts
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46438 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2022  09:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Break them out if you wish but keep the labels.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
369 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2022  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dowhat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Boy T-Bop, that info was really helpful.
Pillar of the Community
United States
674 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2022  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PlumCrazy814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I bought them to fill an album, I certainly would break them out. Otherwise, I would not.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2641 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2022  10:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Break 'em out and put them in your album. If you want slabbed versions later they're readily available for $4-5 each.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1873 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2022  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd be inclined to break them out but proof surfaces are very fragile and can be easily ruined.

Be very careful if you do.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Valued Member
United States
369 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2022  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dowhat to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In the album. Those capsules are rugged.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
10952 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2022  8:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I would break them open, Keep the labels and notate on the back where you placed the coins once they find their new home.
Edited by Dearborn
07/23/2022 8:16 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2022  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As Proofs I would prefer to leave them in the slabs.

KK
Pillar of the Community
United States
1238 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2022  9:03 pm  Show Profile   Check Collects82's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Collects82 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you bought them for your album, then put them in your album. These are not going to ever be worth millions due to supply, and can always be replaced. Enjoy your collection.
My hoard of '82s is up to 241! 218 BC x 1, 118 BC x 3, 18 BC x 1, 82 x 1, 182 x 1, 282 x 2, 382 x 1, 582 x 2, 682 x 1, 782 x 2, 882 x 1, 982 x 4, 1082 x 1 1182 x 8, 1282 x 2, 1382 x 1, 1482 x 6, 1582 x 13, 1682 x 17, 1782 x 60, 1882 x 68, 1982 x 45
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
526 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2022  04:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
While I'm a BIG slab fan, in this situation it's perfectly fine to break them out to insert in your album, as long as you recognize you're losing the environmental protection the slabs provide. But I think we all agree there's no real risk of losing value. Instead, you'll be getting pleasure out of having them in albums, and that has value!

Separately, I see absolutely NO benefit of saving the labels. If saving them is only for your purpose, do you think you'd really forget what grade they once were? When it comes time for those coins to be sold, no one will care that they were once in that grade, since as noted, the coins could potentially have changed, whether they did or not.

Enjoy the coins!

Steve
A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

My collecting "Pride & Joy" is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ty...edset/213996
Bedrock of the Community
United States
46438 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2022  06:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats on 500 post
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
526 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2022  3:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Winesteven to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Congrats on 500 post!

Thanks John1. I try to post in three situations: Congratulating a collector when something good has occurred with their collection; when I have a question, this forum has many people with expertise that I can learn from; and finally, if I feel my opinion based on my experience can help others by sharing those insights and subjective opinions.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!

My collecting "Pride & Joy" is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
https://www.PCGS.com/setregistry/ty...edset/213996
Bedrock of the Community
United States
25226 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2022  6:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If I'm plugging album holes, sure I'd break them out. Only exception are key date or ultra high grade.
Valued Member
United States
234 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2022  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SpeedDemonND to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Personally, I don't think I'd buy slabbed proofs just to break them out. I probably would've just bough these raw. But they're not worth a lot, so feel free to crack 'em open if that's why you bought them.
Learn More...
United States
116100 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2022  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If I'm plugging album holes, sure I'd break them out. Only exception are key date or ultra high grade.
I agree, except I would amend that to just say high grade. A lower to mid grade key date is gonna get cracked.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 839Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: