Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Smaller Than Normal 2016 Nickel

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 573Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
91 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  6:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add blank page to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was rolling some coins that I had already been through, and I noticed when I was stacking some Nickels, I had a smaller coin in the stack. I pulled it out and here it is. The first picture is side by side with a normal Nickel and you can see it's a little smaller. The second picture I stacked it on top of the normal Nickel flush (to my finger) on 1 edge. You can see it is a little narrower. It is slightly shorter from the side view as well, but no picture of that. I put it on a scale and it's bouncing on 4.3 and 4.4 grams. I think a dryer coin would change shape, but maybe not lose weight. I am wondering if it went through a rock tumbler, or if it is a wrong planchet, or whatever suggestions you may have.

Learn More...
United States
41762 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  6:18 pm  Show Profile   Check nss-52's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nss-52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What do the edges look like?
Show your support of the Coin Community Family (click here)
See what CCF members have for sale (click here)
See my collecting interest - (click here)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5839 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  6:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From the way the surfaces look my vote is that it spent some time in an acidic environment.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4161 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  7:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seem to be like a spooned coin. On R seem to miss some material and on O some extra metal. IMO better photos is need.

PS: It is an 2014 coin not 2016
Edited by silviosi
08/06/2022 7:06 pm
Valued Member
United States
91 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blank page to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got in closer for a better view. The surface is obviously rough, the edge is surprisingly smooth to touch and rounded.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
60894 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  8:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weight. If dipped into acid. The weight should be under 5 grams. Appears smaller than normal in width.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
United States
91 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blank page to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
yes, lying flat it is slightly shorter than the normal example. It bounces between 4.3 and 4.4 on the scale
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4161 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, 4.3 ,4.4. Can you compare the width and diameter with an cent of same year? just to see. If I think logic, ones clean this coin will be some 4.1 to 4.2 which mean 18% less then normal. I think to much. But if was cut with cent diameter with the all circulation seem legit on 4.1. Could be this possible in 2016? (sorry to say 2014 from the first photos)
Valued Member
United States
91 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add blank page to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I did not take pictures, but a 2016 penny is narrower and shorter than the little nickel
Pillar of the Community
United States
2325 Posts
 Posted 08/06/2022  9:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
inflation causes money to not go as far as before, but in this case it looks like someone sanded down the edges
Learn More...
United States
26041 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  01:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sure looks like damage to me: corrosion on the faces and potentially-unrelated mechanical removal of material on the edge.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/07/2022  2:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The edge was filed away and the surface environmentally damaged.

KK
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13718 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 573Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: