Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Found Two 2021 Quarters With DD On Reverse Side

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 1,048Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  5:12 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Scrappy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1781 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  6:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like Machine Doubling.
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  6:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scrappy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for that insight. Is there a a market for these at all.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
16239 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JimmyD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Is there a market for these at all

No, they are not considered an error and are too
common to have a premium. Spend it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4343 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  8:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jimbucks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good questions, but no extra value. Thanks for posting.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/08/2022  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
...MD and no market...nice to collect though...especially on early coppers (Large Cents & Half Cents).

KK
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3232 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  01:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add silviosi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Scrappy and all of us here. This it is not Machine Doubling, it is an accepted deviation of the Die production.

MD by definition is when the anvil or the hammer move. On those bi-ball presses the Dies could not move laterally, if move the line stop. From the introduction of horizontal striking presses bi-ball first generation in 1999 the term MD and feeder fingers do not exist any more. I will explain: I put 4 time the Mint film of striking and 2 time how the modern dies are produce. Seem no one take attention on.

This coin is not an error and no variety. The error could be an DD which has backbone in the re-engraving the master die, and if discover in essay will be destroy. We can have other errors of production but I will not enumerate here (in fact only 5 kind could be find from tome in time). Varieties are considered any changes of design or intervention which change the design.

Why this coins show this: when the Die (anvil or hammer) is done in the case of Quarters are 4 pressing steps. First is very high pressure slow then followed by 3 others in orders very fast. Some times the last strike have 't a small rebound from the previous pressing and this can cause this effect only on some locations. This is normal no error, it is what it say: Production parameters.

For collectors, and all I know they know very well what is in parameters or not is not considered more then a 2nd quality of minting. Some dealers and speculators will advertise like big error.

An extra: Feder Fingers: Do not exist on those presses. The Blanks type2 or planchet how you want to say: on those lines fall direct in the collar. The line of collars is round way. So the blanket fall on horizontal in the collar, and before to take the vertical side of the collars chain is press by a ball, fixing in. some times some off centers could happened and is normal for a speed of 750 coins a minute.

Hope help everyone.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
11007 Posts
Valued Member
United States
59 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Scrappy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well it seems to me that we will never know what this really is than. Because I've scoped at least 75 2021 quarters and no other ones have this issue. Thank you for the insight.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59536 Posts
 Posted 08/09/2022  9:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Machine Doubling on the bottoms of the devices and other red arrow. The 'RE' field is showing die flow lines on that area. Note sure why they were no removed during a polishing?
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 1,048Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: