Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Grading Some UK Crowns And Half Crowns

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 511Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
385 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  04:42 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
British Crowns and Half Crowns.

These all came from a large batch I purchased from my parents estate, (to appease my siblings).
When I was having the whole collection appraised, the dealer let me know that the half crowns weren't much value at all, so my hopes are low.
However, I'm not selling them and hoped someone could give me some grades, as it is not my strong suit.

Some of them have PVC muck and they will all get a nice acetone soak, the 1960 crown has already had her bath!
Many thanks in advance. tt

1960 crown

1977 crown

1981 crown

1845 half crown

1923 half crown

1958 half crown

1959 half crown

1962 half crown

1964 half crown

1966 half crown

1967 half crown
The Ox moves slowly, but the Earth is patient.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
651 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  08:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1960 crown may be worth a pound or two, but finding a buyer would be difficult.
The 1845 half crown in fair condition is worth £15 - £20.
The 1923 half crown has a scrap value for silver content which would be 50% of the 14g weight. Today's spot price for 7g of silver is £3.78.
The other coins have no value.
Edited by Hogarth
08/11/2022 08:42 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
385 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  09:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Hogarth
I appreciate your help
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10929 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  10:33 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Theoretically the 1977 and 1981 crowns are still legal tender over here for 25p each!
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
385 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  2:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the comments and appraisals.
I am fairly new to this hobby and keen to learn. I was hoping for help on the grades of the coins, as opposed to their values.
I guess a plus is that I'll be able to pick up a swag of missing half's for next to nothing!
Bedrock of the Community
United Kingdom
10929 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I was hoping for help on the grades of the coins, as opposed to their values.

My grades would be:
1960, 1977 and 1981 crowns - all Uncirculated (fairly unusual to find these in circulated condition). The 1981 crown has been stained through mishandling or improper storage.
1845 halfcrown: Fair. Quite collectable for an early Victorian halfcrown: they were heavily used and many were worn to death! I've seen these sell on eBay for almost double the catalogue value - people seem to be going crazy for 1839-50 halfcrowns right now and I've seen heavily worn ones sell for what catalogues give as the value for Fine coins!
1923 halfcrown: VG (typical average circulated for a 50% silver halfcrown)
1958 halfcrown: Fine / Good Fine
1959 halfcrown: VF
1966 halfcrown: EF but staining on obverse spoils it a bit
1967 halfcrown: AU or quite possibly Uncirculated (halfcrowns were withdrawn on 31 December 1969, so didn't have long to circulate. Fingerprint on reverse spoils it a bit.
Edited by NumisRob
08/11/2022 2:42 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
385 Posts
 Posted 08/11/2022  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks NumisRob
That helps a lot. Exactly what I was hoping for
Edited by ttkoo
08/11/2022 3:14 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
651 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

For the most part I'd agree with Rob's assessment of your halfcrowns my only suggestion being NEF rather than EF for the 1966 and I'd add your 1962 to the list at EF. I would though advise caution regarding the uncirculated grading for the crowns.
1960: I see wear on the lions and leek.
1977: Wear to the queen's head and shoulder and reverse berries.
1981: Some wear to the hair detail and high points of the faces on both sides of the coin.
1960: GEF
1977: EF
1981: NEF
Pillar of the Community
New Zealand
4329 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  3:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Princetane to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with most of the comments. The Diana crowns are the bane of collectors along with Churchill, Eliza and Ph 25, silva jubilee and QM 80th. Their low face value, ugly designs, less than popular themes, mega numbers issued, their large size and being made out of a worthless metal also adds to their undesirability.

Even here in NZ, nearly every buy in reveals 1 or more them, unwanted.

Grading I would grade a bit lower.
1960 crown - high EF rubbing on Queen
Other crowns - AU grubby, have been handled

1845 Halfcrown - very nice overall, good even wear. VG to VG+ (Better than fair)
1923 Halfcrown - aVG - Scrap value only in that condition
1958 Halfcrown - Average Fine condition
1959 Halfcrown - barely VF
1962 - gVF
1964 - bare VF
1966 - high VF
1967 - EF to gEF

The cupronickel ones are worth around 15p each, if you can find a buyer, they have around 10p worth of metal in them.

I love COINS!!!
Valued Member
Learn More...
Australia
385 Posts
 Posted 08/12/2022  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Again to Hogarth, NumisRob and Princetane, many thanks for your input.
I take all of your comments on board regarding your gradings.
The actual values are not really relevant, well not to me anyway.
I love my Australian coins but there is something about the British coins that I am attracted to.
Maybe because I am a Monarchist at heart!!

Cheers TT

Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 511Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: