Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Found Something Interesting. What Is This? (1996 D Cent).

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 602Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
32 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  3:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add armjr to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
At first I thought it was post mint damage. Then I noticed that the "E" in ONE wasn't abnormally deformed. Thought I'd ask the experts here.

Alan

Pillar of the Community
United States
9322 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could we see full, large and sharp pics of the obverse and reverse--the full coin? Thanks.
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  3:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add armjr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pictures aren't much but the best I can do to get them under the limit...

Alan
Pillar of the Community
United States
3402 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kopper Ken to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could be a de-lamination...better pics would help.

KK
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1787 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PMD looks like someone took some pliers to it.
Learn More...
United States
24749 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  7:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@arm, please add the date and mint of this this cent to the thread. This helps with search functionality. Thx.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59536 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought about the pliers issue also, but not the edge metal is not distorted. It looks like its affected on the opposite sides of the coin? An image of the edge of the coin might help us a bit more? If it shows the edge affected the same, it might be a planchet issue or a struck through issue.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  7:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add armjr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wish I could get you better pictures but I'm afraid those are the best I can do for now. I took those with my phone through two loops. My photography skills are more limited than my error knowledge.

The pictures I posted were the only ones I could get under the 300Kb limit on the board.

I appreciate the feedback though.

Alan
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59536 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  7:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you have a wooden cloths pin, you could put the unaffected area in it and how the coin vertical and take an image of the edge of the coin.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays

United States
32 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  8:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add armjr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The edge is distorted slightly. Lincolns head appears to be sheared off horizontally and the missing parts of "In God We Trust" are faintly visible but distinct and not smeared. The Reverse appears to have two separate indentations. One deeper than the other. The "E" is in the shallower indentation. The relatively undamaged "E" is what is puzzling me. I considered pliers, vise or hammer damage but thought those things would do more damage to the lettering. While it is somewhat distorted the lines appear sharp.

I'm not trying to make a case for this coin. I just thought it was odd.

Alan
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59536 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  8:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IT might a damaged coin or a lamination issue on the coin. So keep it safe for now until you can better images so I can see what it looks like. So keep it safe for now.
Richard S. Cooper

Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MakesNoCentsToMe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Alan, do you have a year for this cent?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
59536 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
(My guess is a late 1970's coin) The weak design on the steps is my clue.
Richard S. Cooper

Valued Member
United States
175 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  9:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MakesNoCentsToMe to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What Coop said. Definitely hold on to that bad boy for now. There is a great tutorial on here that show you exactly how to keep pics under 300. Don't know how to link it but it's called Pixlr under the tutorial section. It was so easy that even I could figure it out. Good luck!
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add armjr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sorry. I should have had the date in my explanation.

1996-D

Alan
United States
32 Posts
 Posted 08/17/2022  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add armjr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll keep it safe... Much to the chagrin of #1 wife, I have become (always have been) obsessive compulsive about coinage (and lots of other items)... It'll be safe until I leave my Earthly burdens behind. Then she threatens a huge sale, for cheap...

Alan
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 602Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: