Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1822 Capped Bust Half Dollar R6?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 298Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
694 Posts
 Posted 08/18/2022  9:56 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add psuman08 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I won this 1822 CBH tonight in an auction. I identified it as an O-105a listed as an R6? The O-105a is attributed by an obverse die crack from right of cap passes through star 8 , and continues through all stars including star 13 to rim.

I realize this is a low grade example (seller's pics). What grade would you give her? Also, what kind of value goes with an R6 rarity (13-30 examples)?

Valued Member
United States
74 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldgrouchyguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Remember, it's a rarity of a die state, and not a rare variety in itself. From Dave's:

1822, O-105a, Capped Bust, Half Dollar

1822 Leaman-Gunnet Emission Sequence Number for O-105: 12
Overall Number: 151

Top five condition census coins from last 10 years of auction and sale records O-105:
09/15 Stacks-B (Pogue Part II) PCGS MS66 (former NGC MS67 (Kaufman))
04/19 Heritage (CSNS-Chicago) PCGS MS65+
04/14 Heritage (CSNS-Chicago) PCGS MS64
01/14 Heritage (FUN-Orlando) NGC MS64
04/11 Heritage (CSNS-Chicago) NGC MS64

Top five condition census coins from last 10 years of auction and sale records O-105a:
09/12 Heritage (Long Beach) PCGS MS64
05/12 Heritage (Long Beach) NGC MS63
01/06 Heritage (Reiver-Dallas) NGC AU55 (Break thru right stars)
01/20 Heritage (Downey MBS 50) PCGS XF45 Gen Cleaned
01/08 Heritage (Sunday Internet) ICG VF20 Damaged and cleaned
Pillar of the Community
United States
809 Posts
 Posted 08/19/2022  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MisterT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I grade this coin as VG-8. Don't know what value the Overton attribution adds to the coin but without consideration to the variety, a 1822 in VG-8 is in the $100 range raw. It has a rarity factor of 3.8 with an estimated survival of 6000 in all grades.
Pillar of the Community
United States
6521 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add muddler to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The eye appeal is nice with a circulated cameo look.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2253 Posts
 Posted 08/20/2022  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jacrispies to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
R-6 values vary from one coin to another. A huge factor in value increase is popularity, obviously increasing the demand and the price. Oldgrouchyguy makes a good point, it is a "very rare" die state, but the variety remains obtainable altogether.

Additionally, Parsley's fifth edition of United States Early Half Dollar Die Varieties 1794-1836 lists the O-105a die state as an R-3, the same rarity as the O-105. Peterson's first edition of The Ultimate Guide to Attributing Bust Half Dollars (older edition but can be used as a guideline) shows no extra value for the O-105.

With Dave's Bust Half Dollar Site and Parsley's United States Early Half Dollar Die Varieties 1794-1836 contradicting each other regarding the rarity, I believe the rarity of the die state is not known entirely. The R-6 rating may be neat and provide a "cool" factor, but it won't bring a significant premium.

I give this coin a G-6 and a value of about $65.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 298Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: