Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2023 Morgan And Peace Silver Dollars

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,078Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
188 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2022  10:38 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Hidalgo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The US Mint sold 2021 Morgan and Peace silver dollars, commemorating the anniversary of the completion of the Morgan dollar and the commencement of the Peace silver dollar. The coins were minted in 99.9% silver.

The US Mint plans to sell 2023 Morgan and Peace silver dollars as well, in 99.9% silver.

Here's my question.

Which category do the new Morgan and Peace silver dollars fall under?

1) US Commemorative coins
2) Silver bullion coins (since they are made of 99.9% silver)
3) A continuation of the original Morgan and Peace silver dollar series from more than 100 years ago
4) Something else

Thank you in advance!
Pillar of the Community
United States
684 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2022  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PlumCrazy814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I'd rule out #3 as they are not minted for circulation. To me, actual bullion coins don't come in fancy boxes. Also, I think that Commemorative issues are one shot/one year of issue. So - I guess I have to say something else. I'll coin it "commemorabullion" or maybe "Bullionative"
Edited by PlumCrazy814
08/21/2022 10:56 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1096 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2022  12:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't care for these, they don't hold a candle to their predecessors.
Valued Member
United States
476 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2022  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 2021s are listed under modern-silver-clad-commemoratives on PCGS. 'The United States Mint numismatic products' as per the federal register. https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...tic-products The Mint plans to offer them annually in varying finishes and from multiple production facilities so they appear they are moving toward a series like #3 which might be listed under dollars while Silver Eagles that are annual are listed under bullion coins.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4211 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2022  12:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I say #4 "gimmick" To get more money
I got 2 that's enough
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3779 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2022  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought of this as a commemorative issue / bullion coin from the start. Too many of the specs are different than the originals for it to be a continuation in my mind.

They are nice to look at, but they just don't really look like the originals. They don't have the same 'spirit' found in the coins minted 100 years ago. They are just to perfect with none of the individual flair seen on the originals, maybe it's the luster.

Your question got me thinking...

I guess if the mint wanted to make a 90% silver one dollar coin for circulation, they could if they reduced the weight to 1.75 grams. This would put the silver value at 96 with silver at $19.05 per ounce. Yes, I know I'm not figuring in production cost or other factors like that, but just trying to have a silver dollar that's worth close to a dollar.

It would have to be quite small. The silver III cent coin was .8 grams and 14.3mm, but it was 75% silver and 25% copper. The early half dime was 1.35 grams of 89.2% silver 10.8 copper and was 16.35mm in diameter. The first dime was 2.7 grams with 89.2% silver and 10.8% copper at 19.8mm. So, it would need to be smaller than a dime and just larger than a half dime.

I'm sure the original Morgan and Peace designs could still be used on an 18mm coin, but some of the appeal would be lost with this small of a coin.

No, I'm not being serious here. Just an exercise in understanding coins in commerce. It would/could/should never happen. They would all be instantly hoarded because of the silver content and no one wants a circulating coin worth a dollar that could easily be confused with a dime. It's just like the Susan B. Anthony vs quarter thing.

Now... back to out regular programing. Sorry, I have no idea why, but that's just the way my mind works.

ANA ID: 3203813 - CONECA ID: N-5637

Clothes Dryers are the Coin's natural enemy. NEVER store your coin collection in a dryer. This has been a Yokozuna Public Service Announcement. dryer coin
Learn More...
United States
25496 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2022  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Which category do the new Morgan and Peace silver dollars fall under?

Here at CCF, they fall under commemoratives/NCLT, which is where I'm moving this thread.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
145 Posts
 Posted 08/21/2022  11:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eaglebub7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
At present, they are commemoratives.
Learn More...
United States
118621 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2022  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well, I'd rule out #3 as they are not minted for circulation.
Same reason why we do not include the NIFC Kennedy half dollars in that set?

Kidding aside...

I believe it is really up to the collector. Collect them, or not; include them with your classic set, or not. Whatever makes you happy!

Since I only have the classic Morgan and Peace dollars in my 7070 type set, I count these new ones a modern type example. This is why I only got one Morgan (Privy O) and one Peace. I suppose that means for me, the answer is #4.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3675 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2022  1:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
According to the legislation they are not commemoratives. That's likely a fiction to get around the two-per-year law.

It appears the Mint intends to continue as annual bullion-type coins.
-----Burton
48 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC, OnLinw Coin Club
Owned by four cats and a wife of 37 years (joined 1983)
Valued Member
United States
212 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2022  9:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pmint1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The fact they are not minted for circulation is mute to me as most series have proofs or sms coins not intended for circulation. The change of purity from the original is also found in Kennedy halves, Jefferson nicked, Lincoln cents. I say commemorative or a continuation is closest as they are legal tender.
Valued Member
United States
145 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2022  12:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eaglebub7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can number 4, "something else" be a category? Seems like 2021 can be a 100th commemorative unto itself, especially with 2022 skipped, AND, 2023 as a continuation, the answer is 3?
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,078Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: