Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Buy The Coin Not The Slab?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,022Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
145 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2022  11:07 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add eaglebub7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Came across this *bay listing, thought it rather unusual. Why even display the old slab info, once it's been broken out?

Link if you want to watch, 3 days to go
https://www.ebay.com/itm/144687163738
Pillar of the Community
United States
684 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2022  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add PlumCrazy814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes -suspect in my opinion. Why was it broken out to begin with? Seems like this should be classified as a violation of the selling rules.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1147 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2022  11:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Seller is posting a RAW 1989-S ASE for sale. Current value is about $19.00.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1096 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2022  11:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Atticguy- Where are you buying proof cameo ase for $19?

Exactly.

This seller is off his rocker no doubt, but $19?

Edited by NumismaticsFTW
08/22/2022 11:43 pm
Valued Member
United States
145 Posts
 Posted 08/22/2022  11:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eaglebub7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Seller is posting a RAW 1989-S ASE for sale.

Agreed, it is a RAW coin once broken out. The question is becomes; why have the old NGC label incorporated into the ad? Surely it is to help the seller realize a higher $$
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20386 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2022  12:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect bait 'n switch.
Learn More...
United States
25501 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2022  07:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could be nefarious, although I do note that when I break out a previously-slabbed ancient coin, I save the label with the 2x2. This could be a different situation though.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
73618 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2022  08:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since it's eBay, I tend to be skeptical.
Valued Member
United States
57 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2022  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pilotaggie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've never done it myself but I have seen people who broke out coins to put in albums keep the label. Usually its an older coin that they wanted "authenticated" more than the grade so they bought a slabbed coin that didn't grade as high. No idea why you'd do it with an ASE but I don't collect these either.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1147 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2022  1:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Atticguy- Where are you buying proof cameo ase for $19?

A: I didn't say I buy ASE's, and with the pics shown, how do I know it's a proof or uncirculated coin?

B: I posted the $19 as it's silver value. A generous pawn shop will pay you $19 for an ASE and a VERY generous shop will give you more. The 'common' pawn shop will give you $16-$17 for it. I'm really not positive, but a bank might not even give you $1 for it, as I don't know if ASE's are actually legal tender. (I'll look this up after I post this)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4211 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2022  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add keith12 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I don't know if ASE's are actually legal tender.

They are legal tender
Pillar of the Community
United States
1147 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2022  1:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I just checked. They are worth $1, however, my bank told me they will NOT accept them. (Not that I would ever try)
Valued Member
United States
145 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2022  8:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eaglebub7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess it's not surprising someone has taken it down.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1096 Posts
 Posted 08/23/2022  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NumismaticsFTW to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
atticguy- You are very ignorant.

So I have no idea why you are even responding, with such nonsense.

You cannot tell this is a proof coin?

The 1989-s only came in proof, plus look at the apparent cameo.

You don't know it's legal tender?

It is.

You've been in the attic too long..

ASE's have a massive premium right now, pawn shops will pay you $3-4 dollars over spot right now, not $2-$3 under spot.

Edited by NumismaticsFTW
08/23/2022 9:50 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1147 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2022  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add atticguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well, thanks a lot for spilling the beans. I was trying to keep it a secret but now the whole forum knows I'm ignorant. And yes, I did play with fiberglass too much when I was a kid.

You are correct; that coin is most certainly a proof.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
216 Posts
 Posted 08/24/2022  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gainn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Once it's out of the slab the old grading is irrelevant, so it's very deceptive advertising.

The listing appears to have been nuked, so I guess eBay agreed.

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,022Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: