Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Coin Roll Hunting For Wheats

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 772Next Topic  

United States
12 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2022  01:03 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Coins4grass to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Why do bank tellers look at me like there's a turd on my face when I ask for rolls of pennies?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
48550 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2022  04:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Going to need a photo of (your face) to really help you
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10668 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2022  07:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting observation. I've been gathering cent rolls from many banks over many, many years. Not once have I received a strange look. I've had a few instances where helpful tellers have asked--in fun--what I'll be doing with them. I answer honestly, which has helped establish good relations, with more than one teller keeping an eye out for 'interesting coins' to show me on my next visit.

I would conclude, from your experience, that roll hunters may not be frequenting that bank branch often--that's a good thing.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
48550 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2022  07:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As some of you know, I have looked through a few cents in my day. I started in 1971,took a break every now and then. I have had tellers give me "the look" and some were just downright rude.You need to establish yourself with two banks,one to buy from and one to turn in your searched rolls.Best if you are a member of the bank or banks.I also recommend calling ahead and place your order, don't just stop in unannounced.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1859 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2022  1:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinHunter53562 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Banks are a business and it costs them money to get coins rolled I would assume. They are not there to cater to collectors. Pretty simple really.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
18456 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2022  6:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have never had a problem asking banks for rolls of pennies . If you ask for more than 12 rolls you might get that look from the teller unless they know you . You also might get a confused look if you ask them for rolls of Cents instead of pennies.
Tony

For Butch & Jim rest in peace .
Learn More...
United States
26148 Posts
 Posted 11/07/2022  7:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I echo @john's comment about having a separate bank for dumping coins. The only thing I would add to this conversation is to avoid going for your coin pick-ups during the bank's busy hours.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
735 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2022  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When taking group photos, do others all hand YOU the camera? Otherwise, it just depends where you live and the individual bank teller. Build a relationship with your local bank tellers. When you ask for full rolls you can ask for Customer Wrapped Rolls (CWR), Bank Wrapped Rolls (BWR) or teller tray coins. You can also ask for, or order, full boxes or Bank Wrapped Rolls.

For cents/pennies I just get them from one bank and then use coinstar to get a gift certificate (free unlike redeeming for cash) such as to Amazon when dumping back since I buy things there anyway.
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2022  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ChicagoCoinGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I typically ask for a "box of pennies" which I believe is $50. It's all wrapped up and looks like a brick is in it. Comes straight from their service, so it's no big deal to them to get me one.

Haven't done it in several years though. Hmm. Perhaps time to do one again. Good cheap fun in the Fall!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2869 Posts
 Posted 11/08/2022  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't ask them for rolls, I just get stuff by the box not to make them have to count rolls or go through that kind of hassle. I have only had one bad experience like that when I asked for half dollars at one bank. I was the only customer in there and she asked me if I was going to use them to make a disruption.
Valued Member
United States
114 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2022  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ChicagoCoinGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am surprised they would ask about a disruption. You mean like paying your electric bill with a wheelbarrow full of them? Ha. I would have assumed that to the bank, money is money.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2869 Posts
 Posted 11/09/2022  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I was really surprised too. I'm not sure what they meant but I figured it might be something like that.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4276 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2022  11:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fistfulladirt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I quit routinely buying boxes of cents about 2015, I was averaging about 10-12 per $25 box. My best haul was 58 solid rolls of wheats and 2 solid rolls of steelies. Don't recall any issues buying, although I did mostly halves and dimes. Used to go on road trips cold-call walk-ins at many different banks.
When I listen to LED ZEPPELIN...so do my neighbors...
Roll hunting since '77
Dirt fishing since '72
Pillar of the Community
United States
735 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2022  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add datadragon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Im just surprised that more people arent picking up a somewhat cheap book called Strike it rich with pocket change 5th edition which has a nice core assortment of things to look for compiled from a number of sources besides the typical wheat, silver, key dates etc and also seems would be good for the new searcher as well. Probably would make coin roll hunting more likely to come out with something thats worthwhile from their searching eventually for their time involvement. The online sites and forum can be additional resources for expanding further as your experience grows.
Valued Member
United States
160 Posts
 Posted 11/11/2022  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gsr12010 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
a lot of the tellers don't want to be there. You could ask them to cash 10 checks, or make a withdrawal, or some other transaction and get the same look. A lot of them hate their job.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 772Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.35 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: