Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Latest Purchase Arrived Today, Nice Celtic Stater.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 545Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1315 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  11:03 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MetDet71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Got the id covered on this one, from the seller.
Just wanted to share my latest addition

Durotriges, Uninscribed Coinage C. 50 BC - AD 50.
Silver Stater, 'Cranborne Chase' type.
OBV:- Abstract laureate head of Apollo right.
Reverse:- Disjointed horse facing left, rectangular head, body of crescents, pellet below, twelve pellets above.
ABC 2157.
19 mm and weight is 4.8 grams.
Again, apologies for the poor pictures.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Sweden
1271 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  11:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice looking, interesting coin. Had to work a bit to see the horse .
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1315 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MetDet71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Had to work a bit to see the horse

I am with you on that one, although this type is listed in ABC as being common, it's one of the best coins in my Celtic (small collection) of coins. I love the pellets on this one, been handling it all morning lol.
Learn More...
United States
26100 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really nice addition to your Celtic collection @met. It seems like some of the design is off flan—as if this was undersized compared with the dies.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
United States
6577 Posts
 Posted 11/28/2022  9:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Always liked these a lot. Good pickup. Thanks for sharing.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2681 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  5:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really nice example...Well struck
I always struggle with the "laureate head of Apollo right."
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Australia
674 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  7:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ttkoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I always struggle with the "laureate head of Apollo right.

If I rotate the coin 90 deg anti clockwise I see an abstract face with ears, eyes, nose/mouth and beaded beard below.
But laureate head of Apollo?.... nope!
Still a great example!
The Ox moves slowly, but the Earth is patient.
Edited by ttkoo
11/29/2022 7:25 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
6577 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  7:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I always struggle with the "laureate head of Apollo right."

Here's a pic that I saved to my PC years ago...can't remember the source. It attempts to explain, visually, the derivation (transformation through earlier issues) of each motif.

Edited by Bob L
11/29/2022 7:55 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2681 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  06:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bob...That's interesting and helpful.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 545Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: