Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Went To Local Coin Auction

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 568Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
777 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  06:55 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I went to local coin auction last night. A widow was selling her husband's collection. He was mostly a stacker and loved circulated Morgan, Peace dollars. 1,975 Morgans and Peace were auctioned, most in bags of twenty, mostly 1921 Morgans and 1922-1923 Peace. He had about $650 face of circulated 90% halves, quarters, dimes, some better grade Morgans and some gold coins. All the coins I looked at had full dates, average wear, no heavily worn culls. There were about forty bidders, most middle age and older men. No commission added to hammer price.

Here's what the 90% sold for and a few of the collectables.

1. Morgans in bags of twenty, $550.
2. Peace in bags of twenty, $540.
3. Liberty halves, Franklin, Kennedy, $19 face.
5. Washington quarters, Roosevelt dimes, $18.50 face.
6. 1804 1/2 cent, $210.
7. 1882 CC Morgan in GSA box, $600.
8. 1899 CC Morgan, $720.
9. 1897 gold $20, $1,950.
10. 2016 $5 gold NGC 70, $220.
11. 1915 Austria gold ducat, $205.
12. 1967 Britain gold sovereign, $450.

I usually do not stack Morgan and Peace because of higher premiums like ASE. But I did buy twenty Morgans $550 ($27.50 each), twenty Peace $540 ($27 each) last night. I found one 1921 Morgan VAM-6A, die cracks, break in the lot.

My opinion is these went for less than most dealer prices. I was glad I went and it was fun.

Edited by livingwater
11/29/2022 07:03 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10582 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  06:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sound like a lot of fun!
Learn More...
United States
26063 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  06:59 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well done adding to your stack! I found it interesting to see so much gold in 2x2s rather than having been slabbed.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5844 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  08:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chafemasterj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations on the additions to your collection. I've gone to coin shows but never an auction. Sounds like it was fun.
Check out my counterstamped Lincoln Cent collection:
http://goccf.com/t/303507
Valued Member
Canada
476 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  08:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wallyb to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How bout posting a couple of close ups of your pre '33 US gold?
Valued Member
United States
475 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  08:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jaxenro to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would buy those dimes at $18.50 all day long

that is $92.50/roll which is a lot less than the current going rate
Learn More...
United States
120547 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  09:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like you had a successful and enjoyable time at the auction. Thank you for sharing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
777 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  09:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry no close up pics of the gold. I didn't bid on them, well except for one. I was sitting in the front row. I raised my hand to scratch my nose. The auctioneer thought I was bidding then somebody quickly outbid me LOL. I regret not bidding on the quarters, dimes, they went for decent price, but then again had I bid, someone else may have wanted them more and bid higher. The auctioneer was funny saying stuff like "bid on these 1922 Peace and I may have made a mistake and they're all 1921s" as he smiled. There was a print mistake on the bid list, showing 40 1964 Lincoln quarters, ha. The auctioneer had fun with that, joked they were so rare the US Mint didn't even know about them.
Edited by livingwater
11/29/2022 09:58 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
4497 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  11:12 am  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Better off taking it to a coin dealer .
The widow ,after paying auction fees got nailed .
Too bad!
Pillar of the Community
United States
777 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  11:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add livingwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know what the auctioneer fee was. It also depends on coin dealer/stores, they can vary a lot how much their buy offers are.
United States
10 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  6:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yojoe1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I went to auctions several years ago. They were estate sales but there were generally a page or two of coins and paper money. I found out later that some of the coins came from a coin shop in a local town. They would release a coin detail sheet the day before the auctions. I would see if there was anything that interested me. Then do some research to figure out what my top bid would be. On one occasion the guy bidding against me thought he had the high bid. He was behind me during the bidding. When bidding ended the auctioneer pointed at me and said "sold." The guy came over and said in a low voice "Merry Christmas." Got a gold coin cheap. They were fun to go to and I got some decent coins for my collection.
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2022  4:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Windmiller to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sounds fun and the prices fair. ASE monster boxes are over 20k now.
Edited by Windmiller
12/02/2022 4:31 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 568Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.38 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: