Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1954-S LWC Please Grade And Help All Understand Point Deduction

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 433Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
440 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  10:31 pm Show Profile   Check shantiom's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add shantiom to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
In addition, any insight into whether the color here is bringing this from red to RB automatically, or can red wheats with toning still get a RD classification on a case by case basis. If yes to the latter point, any pointers as to what is sufficient for Wheat cent with toning to get a red designation?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
596 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hondo Boguss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
shantiom, see this thread by ijn1944 from earlier today. Color designations are a bit out of my wheelhouse.
http://goccf.com/t/435801#3745674
Inordinately fascinated by bits of metal with strange markings and figures
Pillar of the Community
United States
709 Posts
 Posted 11/29/2022  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
i think your coin is red brown. I'mánot real sharp with this series though.

the standard for a coin to slab red is 95% red. it cant be covered in color and slab red. red brown is 5-95% red. the copper with the most wild colors always slabs as brown.

how to tell the difference between 94% red and 96% red? I dont have a clue. if you look at a bunch of them youll get a feel for what a red should look like.
I collect low grade large cents. I currently have >230 Sheldon varieties and >235 middle date Newcomb varieties.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
9128 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  05:29 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Appears to be a die crack on Lincoln's temple. Or is that an artifact of your photo?

Surfaces look clean - I grade MS.
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
74957 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  08:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pics are a bit too soft to see surface details clearly, particularly upper right obverse field.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
13692 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
when you get above 65 there are just minor things to look for. grading using photos at 66 and above is a challenge especially if you have glare and/or shadowing on the coin. to get a 67 or above you cannot have any discoloration in the fields

on your coin I'm concerned about the scratch or whatever on the forehead and a couple small marks in the temple area. slight amount of chatter on the shoulder. on the reverse there are quite a number of small hits on pretty much all the letters in the middle section. with a hit between the E and N. all these need to be considered. the discoloration at obv K4-K6 and all the marks will definitely keep it out of the 67 range so that leaves two possible grades. MS65 or 66

i think there is just too many issues on both sides to make 66 so I'm at MS65 and the color has more of a brownish tone with red peaking though in areas so I'm going with RB on this one.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10553 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  09:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm thinking MS65+, red/brown. Do like the coin.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18439 Posts
 Posted 11/30/2022  11:48 am  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That wispy, red toning is considered red by the TPG's. A lot of times that kind of toning can boost the grade via eye appeal. These are pretty easy to hit 66 with the TPGs.

65/66RD, I lean to 66 with luster and eye appeal.
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Edited by BadThad
11/30/2022 11:49 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
26118 Posts
 Posted 12/02/2022  11:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks MS-65RD to me.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 433Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: