Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Live Coin auctions starting as low as $1
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Coins Should I Look For?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 657Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  10:45 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Raiden to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So recently I have been finding lots of just like 1965 dimes and just plain old coins in my coin roll hunts, Should I look around elsewhere?
Learn More...
United States
26063 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  10:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@rai, the answer depends a bit on your goals. Are you looking for minting errors? Building a date set? Stacking silver? What is appealing to you?
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  11:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Raiden to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Really Low mintage dates and error coins really please me, I dont mind getting silver too.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10573 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  11:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Coin collecting and roll searching are very personal pursuits. It all hinges on what interests you the most. If you haven't done so already, just gather a number of rolls of different denominations and rummage through them. While you're doing that, surf this site--Coin Community Forum--and follow those topics you find interesting and fun. Go on from there. Just enjoy and explore.
Pillar of the Community
United States
720 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  12:25 pm  Show Profile   Check CarrsCoins's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CarrsCoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
its all about your goals. coin roll hunting, silver stacking and coin collecting are similar but they are also different. youll never find a large cent coin roll hunting, you wont buy one silver stacking but they are easy to acquire if you want one for a coin collection.

figure out what makes it interesting to you! why do you want to own coins? what about coin roll hunting is compelling to you?

collecting is a very personal pursuit. if you can figure out why it grabbed you I think you will be in a great position to further your collecting goals.
I collect low grade large cents. I currently have >230 Sheldon varieties and >235 middle date Newcomb varieties.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1893 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  1:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you want to search coins in circulation I'd suggest buying a few $3 folders (any coin shop and some bookstores) and filling them with the nicest specimens you can find. As you proceed you'll have a ready reference set to compare with possible new varieties. The reference sets themselves are getting pretty challenging because someone is scratching up all the coins in circulation. nice lightly worn specimens are becoming elusive and virtually unobtainable for the better dates.

I like all the circulating coins and there are some real scarcities circulating alongside everything else.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
18456 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  2:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I can tell you one thing ; Coin roll hunting isn't like it used to be . If you really want to indulge in this practice then forget about searching for rare dates & mints ,even looking for silver . Might as well just hunt for errors . From what I understand they are very plentiful .
Tony

For Butch & Jim rest in peace .
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
20588 Posts
 Posted 12/07/2022  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
"What coins should I look out for?"
- Any coin that is the best value for money, in it's market context.

You have to know the market, you have to know the coin. Experience needed.
That has always been my first motivation, when I am buying.
United States
39 Posts
 Posted 12/18/2022  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suttodh to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I save all my change. I Iook for coins to upgrade the condition of coins I already have. I also look for error coins. It all then goes into a coffee can. Once a year I take searched coins to the bank and cash them in. This savings is then used to purchase coins at the local Coin Shop.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1592 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2023  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dsking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't do roll searching but, it can be a "thing" for many. Personally, I suggest that you find a reputable coin dealer in your area and then find coins that you like. A good dealer will work with you, help you in your selections and perhaps offer a discount if possible. I suggest starting with a couple of different types of coins. For example, Morgans and ASE's, etc., or cents, nickels, dimes and so forth and then collecting them by year and or Mint. Before you know it you will have a nice set or two and can go on with another type of coin that you like. Over time, this way of collecting can be profitable in the long run and much more enjoyable than a hodge-podge pile of different coins. Most of all, have fun collecting. Always, always check the market values of whatever you're searching for before you shop.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1592 Posts
 Posted 01/11/2023  2:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dsking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One last thing...get yourself a magnifier loupe. Many use a 10X. Try to stay away from any cleaned coins. Generally, coins should never be cleaned..they will lose their value to serious Numismatists. There are coin conservationists that can help, professionally, to keep coins nice without hard cleaning and so forth. Those coins will generally not lose their values.
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 657Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2023 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: