Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Specializing in Modern Numismatics 300,000 items to help build your collection! Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsJoin Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Help Needed

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 949Next Topic  
New Member

United States
11 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2013  5:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NG75 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
Hello,

I bought some uncleaned coins and need some help identifying them. Here are two that have some details. I am really interested in finding out more about the first one, the second one I believe is Constantine III (?). I'm still new to this so I appreciate any help I can get - Thank you

Help-Needed

Help-Needed

Help-Needed

Help-Needed
Pillar of the Community
Ben's Avatar
United Kingdom
4208 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2013  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ben to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The first is a byzantine and I'm the last persont o go for for that.

Second isn't constantine III, who is innnncredibly rare and valuable (and didnt mint this type and was ages after this period), but I understand the confusion (I did that sort of thing as a newbie). If you read the remaining side (the useful side, luckily) you'll see the text DN VALENTINIA-. This means this coin was minted by Valentinian.

While I cant be sure of the full id, I can hazard a guess.
Valentinian I
Obverse: DN VALENTINI-ANVS PF AVG
Reverse: GLORIA RO-MANORVM
Mint mark: D Gamma SISC
Right Field: star over A
Mint City: Siscia
RIC Reference: RIC IX Siscia 5a
Rated: c (common)
Size: AE3
Date:364-367

The only thing variable in that is the mint mark, the rest is true.

New Member
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2013  6:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NG75 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much. I learn something new every time I get on this page. I guess I was looking at too many pictures with the second one.
Moderator
Learn More...
echizento's Avatar
United States
23731 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2013  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you take a clearer picture of the first coin?
New Member
United States
11 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2013  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add NG75 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will try, but I am having a hard time zooming in with my camera. I was looking at a catalog and it looks a lot like Alexius I (#1932)
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 949Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to rattle this change. Forums