Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer 300,000 items to help build your collection! Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsRoyal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Specializing in Modern Numismatics Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Well I Finally Managed To Complete My US Mint Souvenir Sets For Both Philly And Denver

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 17 / Views: 284Next Topic
Page: of 2
Moderator
Learn More...
Dearborn's Avatar
United States
107910 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   6:19 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message Number of Subscribers
The Denver Souvenir sets started in 1972 and ran continuously up to 1998 - I now have 1 from every year.
Getting the Denver sets was comparatively easy when compared to the Philadelphia sets

The Philly sets were much more harder to find and afford. From 1973 to 1990 the prices were reasonable, but from 1991 to 1998 each set had a price tag of $500.00 or much more - I saw one set for sale at $1200.00. I didn't think that I would EVER get the 1991 to 1998 sets.
But a few days ago, I found a seller that looked like he was dumping his collection, and each set that I needed cost me on average about $160.00 and had every one I needed, so I bought them all

For the Philly Souvenir sets I have from 1973 up to 1998 (minus the 1997 set)
Philly did not have a set for sale 1972, but instead produced a VERY small 'experimental' sets - from whet I found only 5 were created in 1972.
As for the 1997 set, the mint saw diminishing sales on these and only minted 100 sets - So I have a next to zero chance of getting one of them (at least one that I could afford).

In the coming days, I'll be getting them all out and getting them imaged for my records (and to post here to )
Well-I-Finally-Managed-To-Complete-My-US-Mint-Souvenir-Sets-For-Both-Philly-And-Denver
Well-I-Finally-Managed-To-Complete-My-US-Mint-Souvenir-Sets-For-Both-Philly-And-Denver
Bedrock of the Community
Errers and Varietys's Avatar
United States
79510 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations, Dearborn!
Errers and Varietys.
Bedrock of the Community
ijn1944's Avatar
United States
19620 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   9:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A bit further along than I am....cool!
Valued Member
JennyCents's Avatar
United States
190 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JennyCents to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. That's a great accompishment.
Moderator
Learn More...
Dearborn's Avatar
United States
107910 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   9:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Errers and Varieties, ijn1944, and JennyCents - took me a few years (especially the later years of the Philly set.

I even doubled up on the 1982/1983 P/D sets to put one full set into my uncirculated portion of my collection.
Moderator
Learn More...
Dearborn's Avatar
United States
107910 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   9:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another difficult one to get was the 1972 Denver set as they only produced about 300 to 400 sets (I'm glad I managed to get on of them), I'll have to look back to see what that one cost.
Pillar of the Community
Freespeech57's Avatar
United States
720 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   10:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Freespeech57 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is a great collection, congratulations!
Pillar of the Community
FsdWarp10's Avatar
United States
759 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   10:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FsdWarp10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What a great collection! Congrats
Pillar of the Community
Greasy Fingers's Avatar
United States
7356 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   10:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow that seems like a major haul....
Pillar of the Community
Vector Ze's Avatar
United States
650 Posts
 Posted Yesterday   10:20 pm  Show Profile   Check Vector Ze's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Vector Ze to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Outstanding collection, Dearborn!
I only have the four sets needed to fill the gap in Mint Set production from 1982-83.
Even with that little effort, I can agree about the Philly sets.
Moderator
Learn More...
Dearborn's Avatar
United States
107910 Posts
Moderator
Learn More...
nickelsearcher's Avatar
United States
15952 Posts
 Posted Today  4H 6M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations on your set
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.jk-dk.art
Pillar of the Community
cladking's Avatar
United States
2288 Posts
 Posted Today  1H 21M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Quite remarkable.

I've been buying these for many many years and am still missing at least eight or nine. -and a lot of envelopes.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Moderator
Learn More...
Dearborn's Avatar
United States
107910 Posts
Moderator
Learn More...
jbuck's Avatar
United States
196356 Posts
Moderator
Learn More...
Dearborn's Avatar
United States
107910 Posts
 Posted Today  42M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dearborn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think that there is still a 1981 set for the dollars I need to get, and a special 1976 Bicentennial one too, but not sure on that yet.
  Replies: 17 / Views: 284Next Topic
Page: of 2

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to rattle this change. Forums