| Author |
Replies: 35 / Views: 1,033 |
|
Moderator
 United States
108292 Posts |
The Denver Souvenir sets started in 1972 and ran continuously up to 1998 - I now have 1 from every year. Getting the Denver sets was comparatively easy when compared to the Philadelphia sets The Philly sets were much more harder to find and afford. From 1973 to 1990 the prices were reasonable, but from 1991 to 1998 each set had a price tag of $500.00 or much more - I saw one set for sale at $1200.00. I didn't think that I would EVER get the 1991 to 1998 sets. But a few days ago, I found a seller that looked like he was dumping his collection, and each set that I needed cost me on average about $160.00 and had every one I needed, so I bought them all  For the Philly Souvenir sets I have from 1973 up to 1998 (minus the 1997 set) Philly did not have a set for sale 1972, but instead produced a VERY small 'experimental' sets - from whet I found only 5 were created in 1972. As for the 1997 set, the mint saw diminishing sales on these and only minted 100 sets - So I have a next to zero chance of getting one of them (at least one that I could afford).  In the coming days, I'll be getting them all out and getting them imaged for my records (and to post here to  )  
|
|
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
79682 Posts |
Congratulations, Dearborn!  
Errers and Varietys.
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19636 Posts |
A bit further along than I am....cool!
|
|
Valued Member
United States
224 Posts |
Wow. That's a great accompishment.
|
|
Moderator
  United States
108292 Posts |
Thanks Errers and Varieties, ijn1944, and JennyCents - took me a few years (especially the later years of the Philly set.
I even doubled up on the 1982/1983 P/D sets to put one full set into my uncirculated portion of my collection.
|
|
Moderator
  United States
108292 Posts |
Another difficult one to get was the 1972 Denver set as they only produced about 300 to 400 sets (I'm glad I managed to get on of them), I'll have to look back to see what that one cost.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
721 Posts |
That is a great collection, congratulations!
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
765 Posts |
What a great collection! Congrats 
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
7368 Posts |
Wow that seems like a major haul.... 
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
658 Posts |
Outstanding collection, Dearborn! I only have the four sets needed to fill the gap in Mint Set production from 1982-83. Even with that little effort, I can agree about the Philly sets.
|
|
Moderator
  United States
108292 Posts |
Thanks everyone!  I appreciate all of your comments 
|
|
Moderator
 United States
15959 Posts |
Congratulations on your set 
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
2290 Posts |
Quite remarkable.
I've been buying these for many many years and am still missing at least eight or nine. -and a lot of envelopes.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
|
|
Moderator
  United States
108292 Posts |
Thanks Nickelsearcher and cladking - same here for me, it took many multiple years to get all these.
|
|
Moderator
 United States
196572 Posts |
Outstanding! 
|
|
Moderator
  United States
108292 Posts |
I think that there is still a 1981 set for the dollars I need to get, and a special 1976 Bicentennial one too, but not sure on that yet.
|
| |
Replies: 35 / Views: 1,033 |