Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
300,000 items to help build your collection! Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsSpecializing in Modern Numismatics Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

JFK Half Dollar Roll Hunters: Silver, Proofs And Other Finds

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28,081 / Views: 2,340,519Next Topic
Page: of 1873
Pillar of the Community
FadeToBlack's Avatar
1751 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2013  10:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FadeToBlack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm at $10,000 in halves without a piece of silver.


Three goats, 2 pigs, and 15 chickens.

It's what the CRH gods require as a sacrifice.
Pillar of the Community
kenscott's Avatar
United States
787 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2013  02:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenscott to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
VERY FUNNY! I like that one FadeToBlack.

Valued Member
srjmrj's Avatar
United States
61 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2013  09:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add srjmrj to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at $10,000 in halves without a piece of silver.




You are looking in the wrong places. Forget the boxes, go to the bank & ask for any they might have.
Pillar of the Community
FadeToBlack's Avatar
1751 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2013  2:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FadeToBlack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey srj, how many ounces do you have this year? I do boxes and CWR's, but haven't found much in CWR's this year. I'm over 200oz... trust me, boxes work fine.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5230 Posts
 Posted 03/17/2013  8:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think CWR pay better up to the point that the back stock has run out.

I usually get boxes but decided to stop at few bank sin grocery stores and scored silver from each one I stopped at which were coins they had sitting in zip lock bags or envelopes that they had been sitting on for a while.

I hit them up everytime I am in the areaor shopping at the sotre and have pretty much been skunked everytime since the first time.

I think if you hit up a small town or little know bank or credit union you might make out on your first visit if they've been holding for a while but your odds go down the more you come back (at least that has been my experience)
Pillar of the Community
Americanamafia's Avatar
United States
672 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2013  2:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Americanamafia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I took a few months off from hunting because I was tired of getting nothing. I got 2 boxes friday and ended up with

26 40%'s
4 64's and
1 '48

Guess I am stuck hunting again
Moderator
Learn More...
jbuck's Avatar
United States
196342 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Owassokie's Avatar
United States
622 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2013  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Owassokie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I need 3 more chickens to complete the sacrifice. Stopping by Atwoods on the way home. Thank you Prophet FTB, for your wisdom.

srjmrj, Thanks for the response but I would caution against giving blanket advice. I ask the banks if they have halves and several other coins and currency. It's just not here. When I do find a few halves, they are picked over. I took a road trip recently to look for halves. Probably stopped at ~ 25 banks on a 150 mile trip. I found one 40%er. My car gets slightly less than 150 miles per gallon so the 40% half didn't cover the gas.

If I took your advice when I was a novice CRHer, I would have missed out on a box with 303 silver half dollars. I'm not talking about a box from the 1970's or 80's. This was only 2 years ago. If you read our forum, you'll find several people with similar experiences. Fade has found a small fortune in boxes. Half Hunter and another guy found boxes almost exactly like mine. I am frustrated but I know that my next box could be a monster. I think I'll continue to look through boxes.

OO

Valued Member
tpmjr2004's Avatar
United States
160 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2013  3:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tpmjr2004 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I decided to try my hand at CRHing halves. I picked up a partial box of bank rolled halves, $440 face value. Went through it over the weekend and all I found was a 2004 NIFC and a possible 72 no FG (I haven't haven't yet had a chance for a more thorough examination.) Most of them were bicentennials although it did mostly complete my Kennedy albums except for a few of the 40%, the '87s, and a 91P. Some of the coins were marked with a permanent marker, but not too many.

So I cashed those in and looked for halves again today on my lunch. I checked 4 banks that had no halves. Then the 5th bank had $270 face in CWR. I opened a few on the way back to work just to check the ends and on the 3rd roll I see a '66 staring at me.


JFK-Half-Dollar-Roll-Hunters:-Silver,-Proofs-And-Other-Finds


So I brought that roll in to work to get a closer look.


JFK-Half-Dollar-Roll-Hunters:-Silver,-Proofs-And-Other-Finds


There ended up being 8 40% in that roll and I didn't notice it before, but it was a double ender. I can't wait to crack open the other ones later tonight. Wish me luck.
Pillar of the Community
FadeToBlack's Avatar
1751 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2013  3:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FadeToBlack to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wow tpm, hopefully you got a nice find on your hands.
Pillar of the Community
M0nks's Avatar
United States
1770 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2013  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add M0nks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
4 more boxes with nothing puts me back at 7000 dollars without a silver half again (14 boxes) its so strange hitting the best box I ever had then I'm followed with 14 boxes without a single silver piece

owass it will be our turn soon enough!!
Pillar of the Community
BernieZ's Avatar
United States
713 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2013  4:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BernieZ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's some recent finds and my NGC graded error coin, MS64. thanks Bish! Any comments on the "sword through FG" are welcome. thx guys

JFK-Half-Dollar-Roll-Hunters:-Silver,-Proofs-And-Other-Finds

JFK-Half-Dollar-Roll-Hunters:-Silver,-Proofs-And-Other-Finds

JFK-Half-Dollar-Roll-Hunters:-Silver,-Proofs-And-Other-Finds

JFK-Half-Dollar-Roll-Hunters:-Silver,-Proofs-And-Other-Finds

JFK-Half-Dollar-Roll-Hunters:-Silver,-Proofs-And-Other-Finds

JFK-Half-Dollar-Roll-Hunters:-Silver,-Proofs-And-Other-Finds

JFK-Half-Dollar-Roll-Hunters:-Silver,-Proofs-And-Other-Finds

JFK-Half-Dollar-Roll-Hunters:-Silver,-Proofs-And-Other-Finds

JFK-Half-Dollar-Roll-Hunters:-Silver,-Proofs-And-Other-Finds

Also, awesome, tpmjr2004!
Edited by BernieZ
03/18/2013 4:58 pm
Pillar of the Community
kenscott's Avatar
United States
787 Posts
 Posted 03/18/2013  11:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenscott to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Owassokie - Did you mean 150 miles per tank? I would love to get 150 miles per gallon. :)

@BernizZ - That is an interesting FG error there. Will be interested to see if anyone here knows more about it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
5230 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2013  12:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jack jeckel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What year and MM is your Sword FG so I can be on the lookout for one.
Valued Member
agibby5's Avatar
United States
139 Posts
 Posted 03/19/2013  12:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add agibby5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm at $11,000 in halves without a piece of silver.
  Previous TopicReplies: 28,081 / Views: 2,340,519Next Topic
Page: of 1873

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.66 seconds to rattle this change. Forums