Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. 300,000 items to help build your collection! Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin AuctionsVancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Specializing in Modern Numismatics








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

The Goal: 25,000 Rolls Of Nickels (All Searchers Welcome!)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13,339 / Views: 1,079,500Next Topic
Page: of 890
Pillar of the Community
coinsearcher83's Avatar
United States
1361 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2011  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinsearcher83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think filled-D coins are pretty common..
Personally, I keep anything older that 1961, but only because most other people do too..

Coins from 1942 to 1945 have a big mintmark over Monticello on the reverse. These are made from the wartime silver alloy of WW2. They are worth a couple dollars each.

The rarest Jefferson date is the 1950-D..

Happy searching!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2168 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2011  4:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add angel2004 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. I like I said was just getting the nickels as a 'cheap investment' On opening a hand wrapped roll I found a silver and buffalo in the first roll along with quite a few older coins as well. Well, that was it. I've searched a little over 100 and found and seperated them out by before 1960, the 60s 70s and past 1980. I will just, since I'm looking through them anyway package them back like that. I also decided to make a collector book the nickels for my grandson! Maybe 2 sets since I have been lucky to find many older coins. I thought the filled in D was nothing but some of the better quality coins I have placed in a cup as well.
Pillar of the Community
coinsearcher83's Avatar
United States
1361 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2011  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinsearcher83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Awesome! A buffalo!

I haven't found one of those yet..lol
Pillar of the Community
United States
2168 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2011  11:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add angel2004 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes 5 all together 1928, 1926 and the other 3 not readable. 4 were in one roll.
Pillar of the Community
Kefiroth's Avatar
United States
1431 Posts
 Posted 03/25/2011  11:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kefiroth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got me $170 of nickels today. Results:

No buffalo or silver, about 30 various old jeffersons including two 1948S, 1938, and the big find of the day *drumroll*.....a 1942 Proof! It's a bit tarnished, but otherwise perfectly intact. the reflective fields are definitely there, also it has extremely sharp rims. What a find!

Also found a nickel that was shot with a bullet.

As for foreigns, I found a 1996 Canadian and a 1991 Swiss 20 Rappen.


Pillar of the Community
SilverRoosevelt's Avatar
United States
917 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2011  12:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SilverRoosevelt to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Now that I think about it, I may have found a 1960 proof in my most recent search.
Pillar of the Community
Rsxtacee's Avatar
United States
737 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2011  12:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Rsxtacee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nothing in the 5 rolls I took home from work. Oh well...killed some time and I should be picking up another box this week.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2168 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2011  09:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add angel2004 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How do you know if a coin is a proof when it's mixed up in the roll? THanks!
Pillar of the Community
eaglefoot's Avatar
United States
6326 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2011  09:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add eaglefoot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Finally filled one full coin tube of 2009 D Jeffersons ! ......

The P's on the other hand.....well......got a long way to go for those....
Pillar of the Community
coinsearcher83's Avatar
United States
1361 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2011  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinsearcher83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think Proof coins would be very shiny, have excellent details, thick rims... I think
Pillar of the Community
United States
2168 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2011  10:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add angel2004 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
THanks. Are 2009 D something special as well? I know a lot of questions but you are collecting them so in going through coins I will keep them as well if worth something. Thanks again.
Pillar of the Community
coinsearcher83's Avatar
United States
1361 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2011  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinsearcher83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Questions are no problem! It's what were here for!

I don't think 2009-D's are special, or valuable, except maybe the ones in higher mint-state condition, such as MS-63 or higher. They will probably get more common over time.

However, this being said, I still have not found one yet :P lol
Pillar of the Community
United States
2168 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2011  11:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add angel2004 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks! I was wondering. I am just curious as to which nickels I should hold on to.
Pillar of the Community
Kefiroth's Avatar
United States
1431 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2011  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kefiroth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I went through another box today.

2 silver: a 1942P and a beat up 1944P with a HUGE lamination peel on the reverse side. The peel is so severe that it looks more like a semi-circular Cud going around the rim. The mintmark was completely obliterated as a result of wear and the peel.

I know lamination errors are common for the silver alloy, but would something like this have collectible value? (The peel covers about 85% of the reverse side surface)

Other finds worth mentioning are a 1938, a 1985-S Proof, a BU 1974D, and a AU 1968S with some step detail!

EDIT: After extremely close examination, I can see the remnant of a P mintmark on the 1944.
Edited by Kefiroth
03/26/2011 3:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
coinsearcher83's Avatar
United States
1361 Posts
 Posted 03/26/2011  1:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinsearcher83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My Red Book says $15 dollars for the lamination peel, but I don't know how accurate that is..
  Previous TopicReplies: 13,339 / Views: 1,079,500Next Topic
Page: of 890

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.



    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.6 seconds to rattle this change. Forums