Coin Community Family of Web Sites Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors
Vancouvers #1 Coin and Paper Money Dealer 300,000 items to help build your collection! Join Thousands of Coin, Bullion, & Money Collectors Royal Canadian Mint products, Canadian, Polish, American, and world coins and banknotes. Coin, Banknote and Medal Collectors's Online Mall Specializing in Modern Numismatics Royal Estate Auctions - $1 Coin Auctions








Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?


This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.

Welcome Guest! Registering and/or logging in will remove the anchor (bottom) ads and the security checks. It's Free!

Canadian Coin Values

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
First Page  Showing last 15 replies.
Author Replies: 19 / Views: 2,356Next Topic Page 2 of 2
Valued Member
Canada
289 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  10:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Levaril to your friends list
Canadian Coin News publishes regularly with trends pricing and is used by some dealers. I subscribe to it myself. Unfortunately you need a subscription to pick it up regularly, although I suppose it's possible to find it at newsstands somewhere? Prices there are also "trends" pricing and tend to be inflated by 20-30% on most, but not all, items. I tend to use a combination of all of the above to form an opinion on an actual price I should pay on something, as well as talking to dealers I trust. I would say there is no one definitive guide published that is 100% accurate, they all have pros and cons.

edit: forgot to note that they don't publish bullion prices for maple leaves or anything like that. Mostly just info on older circulation strikes with an occasional update on PL or modern.
Edited by Levaril
05/12/2021 10:57 am
Bedrock of the Community
United States
10065 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Earle42 to your friends list
BTW - checking ebay SOLD items for a specific coin is a good way to get an idea of what people are paying at present. Just know that condition is everything so when looking at slabbed coins, the higher the grade, the more people pay.
How much squash could a Sasquatch squash if a Sasquatch would squash squash?
Download and read: Grading the graders
Costly TPG ineptitude and No FG Kennedy halves
https://ln5.sync.com/dl/7ca91bdd0/w...i3b-rbj9fir2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
5293 Posts
 Posted 05/12/2021  1:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list
Charlton is excellent for everything except the current retail prices.
Valued Member
United States
417 Posts
 Posted 05/13/2021  06:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ram96 to your friends list
Thank you everyone. I ordered the new Charlton guide and will use it along with ebay.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1505 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add purelywasted to your friends list
Im surprised no one mentioned http://www.coinsandcanada.com it will give you a version of the inflated prices (charelton/trends/etc...) and summarize recent ebay sales. Kind of the best of both worlds, plus it free.

That being said, I have both Charelton and Haxby as well to fill in some gaps.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1984 Posts
 Posted 05/15/2021  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list
I think you will find that most Canadian gold coins post-George V will trade more or less at bullion value unless they are grade rarities.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2495 Posts
 Posted 05/17/2021  09:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list
Regardless of what price list you use, don't forget the all important point of reducing that price by 50%.

Then you'll get the true value of most Canadian coins in this sadly depressed market.
New Member
United States
4 Posts
 Posted Today  3H 41M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DR350JJA to your friends list
Is there a yearly updated price guide, similar to the Red Book, that will give current values on Canadian coins, including mint sets, Maple Leaf, and circulating coins? I looked at 'The 2026 Charlton Coin Guide' but can not tell which coins are covered in that guide.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
5656 Posts
 Posted Today  2H 56M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list
Just read some of the suggestions above, but going to the ebay "sold" info will give you a very good idea, but sometimes the grades are very generous. And remember that the publication of a book will be at least a year before prices are compiled to be published. With the semi-recent inflations of gold and silver, you need to get the most recent "take" on what they are worth and ebay "solds" is the best place, but remember that most "solds" on ebay and auctions were sold at a profit. To get the "sold" listings, type in your search and then go to the upper right and click the "sold" items or another search as well.
Edited by okiecoiner
Today 4M ago
New Member
United States
4 Posts
 Posted Today  1H 30M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DR350JJA to your friends list
OK. Thanks. So it seems like there is not something similar to the Red Book that can be used. I will check e-bay to see if anything there matches what I looking for. Anyone have or familiar with 'The 2026 Charlton Coin Guide?' I cannot tell which coins are covered in that guide?
New Member
Canada
30 Posts
 Posted Today  54M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rjd1402 to your friends list
The various Charlton Standard Catalogues are best for basic information. I use to purchase a new guide (Volume 1) every 5-10 years. My most recent was 2020. I doubt I will purchase another. The rule of thumb I used was to shift prices left (or grade right) one column to ascertain a realistic price. In the not tooo distant future, these guides will likely only be available in digital format due to demographics (old boomers prefer books), which leads me to why prices are depressed. Low demand, massive supply.

In the last 5 -10 I've noticed a significant increase in numismatic and notaphily items being offered for sale. This is almost certainly because boomer collectors have passed away (estate sales) or are preparing affairs so their inheritors, who are not interested in the hobby, don't have to deal with the hassle of selling a collection. I'm in this category, being a young boomer. It's not just numismatics BTW, it's many collectibles and other assets, like real estate. Even with government created inflation, real estate prices in Canada and the US will fall in the next 10 -15 years. That is an unavoidable outcome that awaits the economy, all due to demographics. Family formation by young people is delayed or not happening at a "normal' level due to economic pressures that have built up over the past 10-15 years at least - so the government must resort to immigration to keep the growth game going. Negative demographics will hurt the hobby significantly. The geopolitical and economic mess that been created by very poor "Western" government policies hasn't helped things either. I'm just stating a fact not fomenting political debate that is against forum rules. That is why I have been trying to instill some interest, by using technology, to hopefully attract younger people. The increased availability of coins for sale on-line has provided me with the necessary sample sizes to create Substack articles for numismatics items that IMO should be prioritized. I'm not sure it'll be successful. I only began publishing the research I've conducted for many years, about 9 months ago. The response so far has been mixed but I'll give it a couple years. Worse case, the research resides online for anyone not born yet to read one day.
Edited by rjd1402
Today 42M ago
New Member
United States
4 Posts
 Posted Today  36M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DR350JJA to your friends list
Yeah, you make a lot of very good points. If the trend seems to be less interest in coin collecting in the near future, maybe I should just sell everything I have, to avoid a very depressed future market?!? Never thought in my lifetime that it would come to that!
Moderator
Learn More...
United States
196327 Posts
New Member
Canada
30 Posts
 Posted Today  20M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add rjd1402 to your friends list
DR, I wouldn't necessarily recommend you sell everything. Keep the stuff that inspires you the most and gives you enjoyment at viewing them now and then. I will probably never sell my entire collection and will most certainly keep the best type example of each denomination I have, and perhaps some die pair sets discovered.
New Member
United States
4 Posts
 Posted Today  20M ago  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DR350JJA to your friends list
Hey, thanks. I'm here, hoping to learn more about the hobby. I've always been fascinated with coin collecting. I love how coins tell a story and are so rich in our history.
Page 2 of 2   Replies: 19 / Views: 2,356Next Topic Page 2 of 2
First Page  Showing last 15 replies.
To participate in the forum you must log in or register.


    




Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2026 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.33 seconds to rattle this change. Forums