| Author |
Replies: 19 / Views: 772 |
Page 2 of 2
|
|
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
2290 Posts |
Quote: That one would say "OUCH!"
I have a bag full of stuff like that from box hunting. The last time I took them to a credit union, they told me the Fed won't redeem them anymore. I don't believe that. More likely the carrier doesn't want to be bothered. I believe banks are passing these out but won't redeem them. These are repaired coins and they are treated as normal currency coming into banks, sent to counting houses, rolled and sent back to banks and finally being issued. But coin that fails to go through the counter and damaged coin returned by clients are not redeemed. You simply have to spend them one or two at a time. The counting houses used to ship a lot of this to the FED and other damaged coin from incinerators and the like such as what fell out of recycled cars. But, my understanding is they won't accept them any longer so more are ending up in landfill. Most of these are easy to fix with a couple well placed taps with a hammer and a little filing. I've seen some repaired coins that circulated for years as evidenced by heavy wear on the repairs. I'm not even sure the FED is pulling out worn coins any longer. When they get too thin they won't operate machines but the rate of wear is very low now days because the coins get scratched to death instead of worn away.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
2290 Posts |
Oh, and it's in better condition than about 35% of the date. A few of these have already passed on.
These are going to be tough in nice XF and AU because the low rims on this date fail to protect the design.
...Long live the '85-P...
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
2290 Posts |
I'd guess this coin went through an industrial process in the mid-'90's was repaired and has circulated very lightly ever since. It was either a few years in circulation or one year in Vegas. Sometimes what happens in Vegas doesn't stay in Vegas.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
|
|
Moderator
 United States
196572 Posts |
Quote: These are repaired coins... Very interesting! 
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
2728 Posts |
i get coins like that sometimes, either found or in change. I put them into rolls and they go back to my fiat bank.
|
|
Moderator
 United States
108217 Posts |
Quote: That one would say "OUCH!" I think that is would have much more to say than just ouch. 
|
|
New Member
United States
42 Posts |
Definately qualifies for my ugly coin album.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
1760 Posts |
I have a 1965 that is similar. I hang onto them as pocket pieces.
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
United States
79652 Posts |
That's one beat up quarter. 
Errers and Varietys.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
2728 Posts |
here's another groaner, coincidentally the same date & mint. I picked this from the street tonight.   roadkill. 
|
|
Moderator
 United States
15959 Posts |
Yep - damaged likely beyond the ability to use it.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
2728 Posts |
yep... it'll get put into a roll & taken to the fiat bank.
Edited by MrPink2018 08/22/2026 05:23 am
|
|
Bedrock of the Community
 United States
27514 Posts |
Quote: These are repaired coins You make it sound like some agency is "repairing" coins. Please explain.
Inordinately fascinated by bits of metal with strange markings and figures
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
3593 Posts |
Yikes! What a life theyve led.
|
|
Moderator
 United States
196572 Posts |
Quote: here's another groaner, coincidentally the same date & mint. I picked this from the street tonight. 
|
|
Page 2 of 2
|
Replies: 19 / Views: 772 |
Page 2 of 2
|