| Author |
Replies: 22 / Views: 930 |
Page 2 of 2
|
|
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
658 Posts |
Not long ago I spent an evening culling from my Nickel hoard. Nothing very organized, just spread them out single layer and kept the best looking ones by process of elimination, giving the older coins more slack than the newer ones. I ended up with a coffee jar with about 13 pounds of Nickels, so nearly $60 worth, face value, or about 30 rolls. I may never get around to rolling them up, and my credit union won't take bulk coins that aren't rolled. So I might croak with that coffee jar still in my possession, but my stash of kept Nickels is, on average, more attractive.
|
|
Valued Member
United States
189 Posts |
Here's a possible suggestion. Buy some nickel coin books, Whitman or other. Sort out partial sets for each book into sandwich bags. Hand a book and a bag to kids. You can do this at a local coin club, church, relatives, whatever. Watch their eyes light up.
"I like money. I can't believe you like money, too. We should hang out." Frito
Member CONECA, Early American Coppers, NETCC
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
6906 Posts |
Roller, that might be the eventual destiny of the 1940s and 1950s jars. But I think the album filler search for 1960-2025 is a journey, not a destination. There is a kid table at our local coin show that offers free used albums; maybe they would appreciate some nickels. I think most of what they offer is LMC albums, though.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
6906 Posts |
Anyway, the reckoning begins: 
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
6906 Posts |
Starting tally, more for my own memory than anything: 3x 1960-1963 nice 1x 1968-1969 d,s 2x 1970 d,s 2x 1971-1979 nice 4x 1981,1984-1989 nice 5x 1982-1983 p,d nice (sellers) 7x 1990-1999 p,d full steps MS/AU 1x 2000-2003 FS MS nice 14x 2004-2005 LAP luster, EDS 11x 2006-2022 very nice (luster, MS) 2x 2024-2025 p,d BU 2x TONED (any year) 4 extra rolls of various years 7 "check later" rolls, probably from prior cleanups So about 65 rolls, not including 3 rolls of Buffalo nickels and worn Buffalo nickels. Edit: in case anyone is wondering, at 200g per roll, that's 13kg or 28.6 pounds of nickels. No wonder my bookshelf was straining! =P
Edited by Brandmeister 08/22/2026 1:39 pm
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
2290 Posts |
Quote: Also, you can buy BU specimens of 1960+ coins in the original mint cello for a pittance. This is just the thing. There are very very few BU rolls and the mint sets are nearly gone. The coins are cheap cheap cheap because there is no demand. But this is changing. People are beginning to collect mint sets, BU singles, denominational sets, and even BU rolls. Prices are soaring. Supply is drying up. What people don't realize is most BU rolls contain ugly poorly struck coins, many mint sets have tarnished coins, and the few coins that survive in circulation are typically low grade culls. In four or five years we're likely to see coins like a nice well struck 1971 nickel in XF go right through the roof.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
6906 Posts |
You've made that case before. I can see considering strike quality for graded registry sets. In practice, do collectors building albums really agonize over strike quality and die state?
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
6906 Posts |
Cut the 2006-2022 rolls from 11x down to 1.5P/1D, plus a mostly full 1P/1D. I will keep the best 2.5 rolls. The remaining pair, I will keep as donor rolls in case someone needs some nice modern nickels. If they don't come to any use, at least I know which ones to toss in the wrapping bucket.
Not sure which ones are next. Maybe the 1970-1979 rolls.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
7368 Posts |
Quote: do collectors building albums really agonize over strike quality and die state? I don't know about others but I sure do...  Quote: I will keep as donor rolls in case someone needs some nice modern nickels That would be me, I don't find many nice Phillys over here in California. Mind if I send you an email (on my day off/Monday)? We can work something out.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
6906 Posts |
Started with: 3x 1960-1963, 1x 1968-1969 d,s, 2x 1970 d,s, 2x 1971-1979
Ended with a half roll of actually nice 1960-1969 and two-thirds a roll of actually nice 1970-1979. I think I have also stashed many very nice individual coins in little packets, which can probably now be merged into the rolls.
The other 5-7 rolls worth of coins were spenders. They've found a new home in the wrap bucket, soon to be deposited at my dump bank.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
6906 Posts |
Quote: That would be me, I don't find many nice Phillys over here in California. Mind if I send you an email (on my day off/Monday)? We can work something out. If by "work something out" you mean stick them in an envelope and send them to California, that sounds like a plan. Send me a PM, and we can figure out the details.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
United States
2290 Posts |
Quote: You've made that case before. I can see considering strike quality for graded registry sets. In practice, do collectors building albums really agonize over strike quality and die state? Ya gotta forgive an old man who started collecting Buffalo nickels from pocket change and actually completed most of the set before buying the stoppers in AG. I wasn't obsessed with the horns the way other collectors were but I did want to see the detail as well as tails and feathers (et al). Grading was strictly determined by the horn and an uncirculated '26-S often had less horn detail than a VG or F. It became something of a habit to look for the best example I could find with a nice crisp strike. It didn't need to be perfect but the fuller the better and I still often prefer a VG to a VF in SOME series. W\hen I started collecting clad in 1972 strike was even more important because the vast majority of those early coins were weakly struck by worn dies. It's hard to imagine how bad they were because most of them are gone now or the weakness is masked by heavy wear. There aren't any BU rolls around because people didn't want to save the poor strikes so the abysmal quality of those early years is not readily apparent. That flat 1966 quarter you're seeing in circulation might be a lot higher grade than you think because like the Henning nickels most of them were made in VG. I still like nice crisp strikes and full detail on clad even though the vast majority of what the mint produces is of much better quality and most specimens are something a collector could be proud to own. I mentioned the '71 nickel as an example. This was the very first nickel that was quite well made and despite the fact more than 2 out of 3 was fairly well struck from newly improved hubs and dies, still nobody saved it. I never saw more than a handful of rolls and the coins from mint sets were spent. Despite nice strikes and full detail it was ignored. The coin does have a little bagmarking problem even in the mint set so in addition to its low mintage nice attractive coins in any grade are anything but common. Other coins like the '66 nickel are going to be a real problem in BU if people want details on their coins. Forget Full Steps because you'll be lucky to even see the pillars and dome. To each his own.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
6906 Posts |
Hey, you like what you like. From a technical standpoint, I do agree with you that a well produced early die state coin is more accurate to the design and more desirable. One thing that I have noticed over the last three years is that late die state strikes tend to have more luster vs. EDS hard sheen. That's just how the die flow lines scatter light in a warmer way. I think when many collectors select a coin for their collection, they prefer luster over EDS, which is completely understandable.
I thought that many years have master hub and master die wear. 1966 nickels a good example—it doesn't seem like there are many specimens with even a few steps or crisp details on Monticello. But that isn't really a strike deficiency, because pretty much all coins struck that year will show the master weakness in certain design elements.
Edited by Brandmeister 08/23/2026 09:49 am
|
|
Pillar of the Community
 United States
6906 Posts |
Over coffee on the patio this morning, I pruned the three rolls of 1980-1989 nickels down to two-thirds of a roll. I tossed everything with stains, small verdigris spots, and any visible metal damage on the rims.
I am sure that for these years as well, I have some random mint set coins to add into the mix, as well as nicer coins stashed in the packet tub.
I am going to leave the 1982-1983 rolls alone for the time being.
I think the Inspect Later rolls can be added to fresh rolls from the credit union, and just examined thoroughly.
Louisiana Purchase nickels might be next. Anybody who needs a decent AU/MS Philadelphia set of the four LAP coins (2004-2005), speak up now. Those only cost a single stamp to send.
|
|
Moderator
 United States
196572 Posts |
Quote: Anyway, the reckoning begins... You have been busy! 
|
|
Page 2 of 2
|
Replies: 22 / Views: 930 |
Page 2 of 2
|