Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Unbelievable!

Next Page | Last Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
19521 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2006  10:32 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I think we just paid for our new house.

We just bought a box of coins today from an estate sale about 20 miles from here that had items that belonged to a NJ Congressman. He was in Congress from 1959 to 1977.

Well, Susan was going through the coins and I thought she was having a heart attack... Check out what was in there! She can't even talk right now, let alone type.

I can't believe it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4589 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2006  10:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scoutjim99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
get that to a grading company and where do you live . No just Joking. I do hope its reel. my Breen list's reports but says no known examples are known to exist.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4589 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2006  10:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scoutjim99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
what is the weight and size
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
19521 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2006  10:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Just under 27 grams and 39 mm. Supposedly some were given to members of Congress but all where thought to be retrieved.

Valued Member
United States
346 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2006  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add demonboy279 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
WOW thats neat. I hope its real. ive never heard of the Peace dollar even being thought of in 1964 though. Good luck and id have it certified right away if it was me
Valued Member
Australia
281 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2006  10:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add grendelfreak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Is this coin the equilivent of the Aussie 1930 penny or something?

I don't know anything about USA cons
Pillar of the Community
United States
756 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2006  10:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wrk4lvg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What does something like this go for?

Either, grats!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1596 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2006  11:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cladking to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmmmmm. This would be an extremely valuable coin if you can sell it and it's real. The feds have said they intend to confiscate any that ever show up. You may want to contact someone who can authenticate it quietly and/ or retain counsel.
Time don't fly, it bounds and leaps.
Learn More...
United States
2684 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2006  11:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Fred to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bobby and Susan, I think your ship just came in! Congratulations! (Well, at least until it's authenticated. Fingers crossed!)
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1529 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2006  11:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lim118 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats Bobby/Susan....I can't think of two better people deserving this windfall....
Pillar of the Community
Australia
1079 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2006  11:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add KLD to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats to both of you.

For your sake I hope it is real and you sell it for a fortune.

Let us know how you go.
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2006  11:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morganiere to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What exactly makes this coin special? The V in trust?
Rest in Peace
United States
3730 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2006  12:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gary Burke to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the coin is real, and you become multi-millionaires, will you still maintain the forum?
Rest in Peace
United States
3730 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2006  12:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gary Burke to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I first read this, I thought you were joking. You aren't, are you?

If it's real, will you be allowed to keep it?

You are great people, I hope it's not a joke, and I hope it's real.
Forum Uncle
United States
2884 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2006  12:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Mike to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Morganiere,
All Peace dollars have the "V" in Trust. What makes this potentially so special is the date. They were not regularly minted after 1935. The story goes that some were minted in 1964 to use up silver stores (1965 began the use of clad coinage in American "silver" coins) Some were given to select politicians and other officals "on the sly". All were supposed to have been destroyed(and/or confiscated). Some supposedly slipped by the melting. If this is real, it would be a remarkable find.

Bobby, is there a "D" mintmark on the reverse below the one? See the statistics and story below.I put these tidbits together from several blogs on google. I could not figure out the original authors as most were reprints. (many of the stories have very conflicting information). I pray that Bobby and Susan snagged a real one!They really deserve it.... Mike

1964-D
Mintage 316,076
POPULATION REPORT.....0*
*All of these were believed to have been destroyed before they were released to the public.

1964 Peace dollar
At the Denver mint, in order to begin using the stock pile of silver, several hundred thousand 1964 Peace dollars were made at the Denver Mint in the "trolley building" across the street to the west of the current mint building. They were coined in great secrecy and only during the day shift. One day the workers came to a locked up work place and were forced to sign an affidavit indicating that they had never worked on this project and knew nothing about these '64 Peace dollars, in effect, that their work of several weeks never happened.

All of the '64 Peace dollars were supposedly melted down. Though security was much less efficient then, a current mint official(this was posted in 1994?) who was working on the project at the time thinks that very few ever left the building. However, this official(name not disclosed) does believe that some got out into the hands of various officials and the like, because, "There were often calls from senators and state officials, and others like the Mayor of Denver, seeking copies." The official said he feels there are "probably 6 or so" somewhere out there that were not melted. Others have said that there are as many as a 2 or 3 bags.

Coin "doctors" sometimes make them in the following manner. They Take the 4 from a common 1924 and the 6 from a common 1926, put them on a high grade 1923D, do some "coin magic" blending them together and end up with a 1964. Some "Copies" are available for under $40.00

Pillar of the Community
United States
4589 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2006  12:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add scoutjim99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Recheck those measurments RedBook says 26.73 grams and 38.1mm it llokes like it has some wear evn though the Peace dollar never was struck to good so iw ould assume it would loose alittle in the grams your estimate is 27 grams and 39mm . I am not trying to nay say ya. just hate to see you get heart broken
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2018 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05