Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1973 Kennedy Half....ghost Circles?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 1,124Next Topic  
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2011  7:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add NomadA32 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
found this while going through my coins in the piggy bank and it has almost a ghost like ring on both sides. is this an error or what is it? before I get rid of it I thought I should ask. Thanks guys.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
41337 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2011  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF fellow Michigander. I know it's not an error but I can't remember what causes it. Worn dies?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 6.5 +/- Million Cents Since 1971
Valued Member
United States
257 Posts
 Posted 10/26/2011  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wpd7 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pretty common- I CRH Kennedys a lot. $12K skunk streak at the moment. =(
Valued Member
United States
150 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2011  12:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joshkellogg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think it's a cool find. Though it may not be worth anything to some, it creates a halo effect... like you see in old portraits of saints, etc. I'd hold on to it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2076 Posts
 Posted 10/29/2011  11:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mikediamond to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's indeed an example of Die Deterioration.
Error coin writer and researcher.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3124 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  1:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pete2226 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Could this type of Die Deterioration be an expression of minor Die Subsidence?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2567 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  3:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oldfordman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1190 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
might be progressive indirect die transfer
Pillar of the Community
United States
7187 Posts
 Posted 07/27/2021  6:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Mike. Die Deterioration.
ša va bien aller

Pillar of the Community
United States
3124 Posts
 Posted 07/28/2021  05:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pete2226 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have no difficulty with this feature being Die Deterioration.

I am simply interested in focusing on the TYPE of Die Deterioration. It seems to me that minor die subsidence is descriptive of what I see happening. If it is a different type of Die Deterioration than that, I would like to know which type.

I have made a list of
Die Deterioration Types
Doubling
Promoted by Trails
Parallel Flow Lines
Incuse Die Deterioration
Design-Devouring Die Wear
Design Berms
Orange Peel Texture
"Starburst" Streaks
Detail-Erasing Die Wear
Die Subsidence Errors

If this is not a Die Subsidence, then which is it?
Edited by Pete2226
07/28/2021 05:21 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 1,124Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.28 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05