Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1950 D Nickel

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,692Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1691 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2011  11:19 pm Show Profile   Check Petersun's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Petersun to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is it true that it's super hard to find a 1950D nickle out of circulation?
Valued Member
United States
255 Posts
 Posted 12/24/2011  11:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add x78089 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4212 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2011  12:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fioti to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
From my expierence, yes. Tougher yet to find one in poor condition.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1691 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2011  12:59 am  Show Profile   Check Petersun's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Petersun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On eBay, the price is very low. The trend is low. Why?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1308 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2011  09:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinsearcher83 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Because even though they're tough to find in circulation, they're not rare coins.

It's kind of like trying to find a proof coin in circulation. Difficult, but they're not rare coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
716 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2011  10:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Yinzi50 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depends on where is your location, I found 3 1950d nickels after over 200 boxes.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
6883 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2011  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nickelsearcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Collectors of the day realized that the 1950-D Jefferson had a relatively low mintage (2.6 million coins) ... so they were widely hoarded in MS condition.

A few of course made it into circulation ... where they are tough to find today in roll searches. I have found one (1) in 260,000+ coins searched!

I would venture (with no data to back me up) that there are more MS examples available today than there are circulated examples .... and more than enough coins to satisfy demand.

Hence the relatively low price on E-Pray.

David
Take a look at my other hobby ... http://www.finewoodcrafter.com
Too many hobbies .... too much work .... not enough time.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1080 Posts
 Posted 12/25/2011  12:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add specksynder to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A Texas coin dealer cornered the market on these, holding on to over 3/4 of the 50-D nickels that were minted. As a result, they are rare in circulation, and for many years, they trended high. Now that the hoard is out, they trend low, but they are still not found in circulation often, and most of them are in very good shape.
Valued Member
United States
466 Posts
 Posted 12/26/2011  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add googoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
still looking for mine....3 years later if that helps you out any
Valued Member
United States
242 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  05:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hunter611 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Resurrecting this thread for a question:
If the coin is rare to find in circulation then is one found in circulation at say 58/60, more valuable than say UNC BU/MS? Hope that question makes sense.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1462 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
No. It would be a cool find, but does not increase the value. As stated, a majority of the 2.6m minted are Uncirculated. PCGS' pop is showing 98% they have graded in MS64-MS66 range (majority in 65-66 range). That's high.

For such a common-to-find coin in UNC, there is no pedigree for it being found in circulation, therefore no added value.

Bottom line, it would be in sub-par condition based on the overall average, simply making it worth less.

Valued Member
United States
242 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hunter611 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the reply, makes sense thinking about it that way.
Valued Member
United States
160 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add davef to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I had been looking for one from circulation since about 1960. Never found one until about 2 years ago I found 2 within a months time coin roll hunting. Like others mentioned they were in excellent condition.
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 10/28/2020  3:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Morgan Nerd to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found a first-year 1938 Jefferson nickel in circulation.
Valued Member
United States
147 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Erscolo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I first got into collecting in the 1970s, the 1950-D Nickel was still a big thing. I bought a Jefferson nickel Whitman album and was able to fill the holes from circulation at the time, including the aforementioned coin. I was even able to find the wartime nickels, and 1939s and 1941s were still plentiful.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19871 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2020  07:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not impossible but also easier than a 1913 Liberty Head Nickel
just carl
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,692Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05