Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

"Longacre Doubling" On Indian Head Cents: The Source

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 1,442Next Topic  
Bedrock of the Community
10045 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2012  8:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Many collectors here have discussed the "doubling" or outlines seen around devices on Indian Head cents.
It's often mistaken for a doubled die, although it looks quite different than real doubled dies.

Longacre doubling

Doubled die (1887 Snow-1):

Rick Snow has just published an article showing an IHC trial strike involving an undated 1859 type IHC hub and a planchet. The result is a piece which clearly shows the features on a hub. This is perhaps the clearest explanation of what causes "Longacre outlines". Rick Snow writes "notice how the field is sculpted away from the letters and devices without getting too close to the letters and devices themselves. This is where the outlines are formed". Elsewhere, Rick Snow has written the outlines vary between dies, depending on how deeply the die was hubbed, and how much the fields were polished before striking coins.

For educational purposes, I have used the photo from Rick Snow's article, then reversed and colorized to help visualize what the hub might look like. Compare the "Longacre outlines" in the first photo to the simulated hub below.

Click to enlarge

Edited by DVCollector
01/23/2012 9:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
4132 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2012  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CaptainFwiffo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh wow, I had no idea the hub was sculpted away in the fields like that. So only the devices get hubbed; the fields are the part where the hub never touches the die. I always assumed the hub looked just like the coin.
Bedrock of the Community
10045 Posts
 Posted 01/23/2012  10:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
the fields are the part where the hub never touches the die. I always assumed the hub looked just like the coin.
I suspect the rough "fields" on the hub do impress in the die, but these are polished away since the fields are the top surface of the die.
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 1,442Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2022 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: