Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Another 1787 Fugio, Newman 9-P

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 2,146Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
3252 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  7:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add philadelphian to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Well, if vermontensium gives a grade of VF to BrickellCat's lovely N. 9-p Fugio, I thought I'd post my own, and see how you all feel it stacks up.

I've had this for nearly thirty years, since I was but a pup, but as I said in my Welcome post, haven't even seen it for nearly that long. Come to think of it, I've owned it for a little more than 10% of its existence! As I posted in BrickellCat's thread, mine is the same die marriage, but a much poorer planchet. I think that speaks to the history of the coin, though. These striations all run parallel, in the direction the copper was rolled out in the mill, where every speck of soot, or horse manure, or God knows what, was left to contaminate the metal. Perhaps they are the remains of splinters from the French gunpowder barrels from the Revolution, whose copper bands were rumored to have been scavenged for this mintage. Or perhaps the other rumor is true, that the quality copper supplied by Congress was passed on by Jarvis to better customers, and the cheapest copper was substituted for the federal contract, perhaps with Jarvis uttering for the first time that ancient quote of contractors throughout US history...

"Close enough for Government work!"
Pillar of the Community
United States
817 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  8:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Las_Vegas_Larry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Super coin.

Thanks for sharing.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1151 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yankee1227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I love that "Mind Your Business"

Not sure on the grade though.

Nice coin!
Learn More...
United States
16357 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  9:34 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice! Great planchet quality and color...as nice as they get.
Strike weakness abounds on these coins unfortunately but yours appears to have seen handling.
Fantastic devices and great eye appeal. I would grade this XF all day long.
You should be proud of that one :-)
ANA LM1214396
U.S. Colonial and Large Cent fanatic.
Edited by vermontensium
01/27/2012 9:35 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
3252 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add philadelphian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What I forgot to mention, and which I wish could be appreciated in the photo, I only noticed recently when tilting the coin in the light: in the fields to the left of the sundial, a shimmer of mint red.
Learn More...
United States
16357 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  11:08 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Funny you mentioned that. I noticed that area too, not the RD, but what appears to be some glossiness accociated with luster. I almost thought lower end AU but XF+ would not be out of the question.
I am envious ;)
ANA LM1214396
Pillar of the Community
United States
3252 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  11:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add philadelphian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your kind words, and your experience. Found this when I was twelve or so, at a small local coin auction that catered mostly to dealers. I was shocked at how little interest there was in the bidding. Came to the conclusion that the dealers mainly handled US Mint issues, and either thought they couldn't find a buyer among their clientele, or didn't feel they had enough experience with Fugios to trust they were getting a good deal.
Learn More...
United States
16357 Posts
 Posted 01/27/2012  11:44 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My opinion of course but, your welcome! You are a great addition to the CCF so we are glad your part of the family :-)
ANA LM1214396
Pillar of the Community
United States
3252 Posts
 Posted 01/28/2012  11:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add philadelphian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're too kind, sir. Hope to post another thing or two, in time.
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2012  10:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add WorthTheWeight to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Philadelphian,

Beautiful coin! Have you weighed it at all yet? I would be curious to see how much yours weighs in at?
Pillar of the Community
United States
3252 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2012  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add philadelphian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Would be happy to oblige, but I'm not that level of hobbyist who owns a scale to that purpose. Do you have any advice as to where someone might find the use of one? Short of asking a favor from my local cocaine dealer? And why the curiosity? Do you suspect a counterfeit, or, as your name suggests, is that your particular numismatic passion?
Learn More...
United States
16357 Posts
 Posted 01/29/2012  9:49 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I sell gold nuggets and specimens from time to time, as well as gemstones, that's mainly why I have one. Before you sell, it's critical to explain the gram weight of a nugget, or carat weight of a gem. Other than that, I use it to weigh coins for tolerances or error coin weights.
ANA LM1214396
Bedrock of the Community
10045 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2012  01:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DVCollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great details on this coin!
Rest in Peace
United States
5375 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2012  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinguybrian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Easily XF, but I don't know too well and I'm betting the coin looks great in hand compared to the photos. Awesome fugio!
Pillar of the Community
United States
3252 Posts
 Posted 01/30/2012  5:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add philadelphian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My, what a very polite way of telling me I need to work on my photo skills! I do; I know. It's my very first effort.
Rest in Peace
United States
5375 Posts
 Posted 01/31/2012  11:41 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coinguybrian to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Haha, well you and me both. I can't photograph anything for the life of me...you're doing better than I was the first time I tried for sure.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 2,146Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05