Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Possible Real 1943 Copper Penny!?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 153 / Views: 25,303Next Topic
Page: of 11
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  6:33 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MezRDH to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am posting for the first time in hopes of getting some information on a coin that I have had in my Fathers collection. I have owned the coin for 25+ years but not till recently started going through everything. I am very overwhelmed but excited. I have a 1943 copper penny. I have done the magnet test and the weight test. Everything checks out, but I do not know if this coin is real or a really good fake. I am going to call one of the grading companies tomorrow and have it checked out. I would love to get someone's take on what I have. My photos are not that great. I used a magnifying glass with my IPhone .
I would love any advise or recommendations for grading. And takIng better photos.
Thank you
Having a difficult time attaching my photos, any help? They are on my phone.

Moved to Modern US Varieties/Errors forum - Sap

Pillar of the Community
United States
1031 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add docsfishn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the forum!

Try this link for help with attaching a photo: https://www.coincommunity.com/forum...g-images.asp
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MezRDH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I will try to post the photos tomorrow when I have some computer help.
I have read a lot of stuff on the web regarding the 1943 penny. I have several rolls of steelies and am aware of the fakes. My father bought a lot of his numismatic coins in the 1940's and 1950's in New York at auction. He was very passionate about his coins and I have fond memories of "helping" with his collection as a child. He passed away in 1984 but I had no desire to catalog any thing till this last year after my Mother passing. It is bitter sweet. All the memories and possibilities for my coins, it has been exciting!
I will post more as my treasure and truth hunt continue !
Learn More...
United States
16357 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On a genuine 43 copper, the 3 has a long bottom , as opposed to an altered 1948, where the "3" has an identical half loop as the top of "3".
ANA LM1214396
U.S. Colonial and Large Cent fanatic.
Learn More...
United States
14454 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  7:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bryan1315 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
if it is a 1948 and altered to look like a 1943 it would pass a magnet test so thats not a definitive way of checking for these coins. It will get rid of the copper plated ones but any time you have a 1943 copper cent it definitely needs to be checked out by someone knowledgeable for authentication
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MezRDH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I know about the 3 with the tail. I wish I could post my photos. The coin looks good. It has a lot of wear but the numbers are good. I just am not sure. I know that some early fakes came out of New York. And that is we're he purchased many of his "good" coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1151 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add yankee1227 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not trying to crush any dreams but the chances of having a real 1943 copper cent, are very slim to none.

You can only hope for the best but expect the worst. I hope we hear some good news.
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  7:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MezRDH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's why I am excited!
Learn More...
United States
16357 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  7:22 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Once you post photos, and there is any hope of it being genuine, ANACS would be the right choice.
ANA LM1214396
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  7:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MezRDH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I just emailed my photos to myself. I can email someone if they will repost them for me. Other then that I will try to get the photos posted tomorrow as stated before.
Learn More...
United States
16357 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I can post them. Click on vermontensium, email member.
ANA LM1214396
Edited by vermontensium
02/26/2012 7:31 pm
Learn More...
Australia
13364 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  7:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I've moved your thread to the appropriate forum section.

Unfortunately, new members aren't allowed to e-mail anybody via the forum. Anyone who wishes to help will have to initiate the e-mail contact themselves.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Learn More...
United States
23521 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  7:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I've moved your thread to the appropriate forum section.

Unfortunately, new members aren't allowed to e-mail anybody via the forum. Anyone who wishes to help will have to initiate the e-mail contact themselves.

I'll take on that task. MezRDH, my email is my username here at coincommunity.com. If you send them through, I can post them in this thread for opinion.
United States
43 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  8:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MezRDH to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Superdave I sent two emails with one photo each. Thanks,
Learn More...
United States
23521 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  8:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SsuperDdave to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Got 'em. Give me a couple minutes to process and I'll post them here. First glance: I'm completely undecided about it....
Learn More...
United States
16357 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2012  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Check vermontensium's eBay Listings Check vermontensium's eCrater Listings Bookmark this reply Add vermontensium to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I should have known better

I have to admit, that 3 looks like the real deal. What does it weigh?
The fact that you've had it for 25 years can pretty much rule out Chinesr fakes.
ANA LM1214396
Edited by vermontensium
02/26/2012 8:20 pm
Page: of 11 Previous TopicReplies: 153 / Views: 25,303Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05