Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1988 Steel Penny

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  3:36 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add flatuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have seen all the posts online about how to get a 1988 penny to look like steel/silver. I have a 1988 penny that looks looks like my 1943 steel proof. It sounds just like it and sticks to a magnet just like it. How can I find out how it could have gotten minted and if has a value?
Pillar of the Community
United States
2277 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wquinn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Do you have any photos of it to show?
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  4:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flatuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Only camera I have is on my phone but here goes.

Rest in Peace
United States
3039 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  4:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add numismo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't look like your 43s.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flatuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Noticed that in the photo. Looks a little darker and not as shiny as the proof set. Any thoughts on what it could be? I noticed that no coins were minted for other countries in 1988. The magnet thing throws me off.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
12437 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  5:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add biokemist6 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

2 points to address-

1) The 1943 steel cents do not exist as proofs. If you have a 1943 with a glossy surface, it has been polished or replated.
2) The US Mint has not used any magnetic planchets since the 1943 steel cents. The most likely explanation is that your coin has been plated with nickel(pure nickel is ferromagnetic). Check the weight to confirm, if it is around the normal weight of 3.1 grams then it has been plated.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  5:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flatuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a picture next to ther pennies.

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 03/13/2012  5:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add flatuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, I will let you know.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15476 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  3:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You say it sticks to a magnet like the 43's. Does it "stick" or does it jump to the magnet? Most likely it just "sticks" and is slightly magnetic. This is caused by a heavy nickel plating. Pure nickel is magnetic and the plating will make it stick to the magnet, but there isn't enough of mass of nickel to jump to the magnet and carry the weight of the rest of the coin along with it.
Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
United States
1757 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  8:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add M0nks to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
most likely it was plated by someone post mint nothing special just a curiousity item probably
Pillar of the Community
United States
809 Posts
 Posted 03/14/2012  8:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add lincolncentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh boy....here we go again...Did you ever notice new members always have these rare and unusual coins? welcome to the forum anyway.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
18130 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  10:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

As noted it is just a plated coin. But you never know what you'll find by looking so keep at it.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
3267 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add upstate to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Oh boy....here we go again...Did you ever notice new members always....

That's Ok it's what we do, share knowledge, advice, solve mysteries, etc. Whats obvious to us may be an enigma to a novice or YN.
Valued Member
United States
414 Posts
 Posted 03/15/2012  5:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ram96 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum. It was a unusual coin that I had that brought me to this forum. You will find a lot of knowledge here.

Anyone have Lincolncentguy's first couple of posts? :)
Valued Member
United States
284 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  12:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DM1975 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Upstate that is very true. I never understood why people get all upset when someone new has a question about something like that. Posts like that just serve to drive people away. Everyone on here was new to numismatics at some point and we should make it a point of honor to be the place they come to ask for advice and not be insulting about it.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
15476 Posts
 Posted 03/16/2012  09:50 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
.Did you ever notice new members always have these rare and unusual coins?

Of course they do. The long term established people don't have them so they MUST be in the hands of the newbies.
Gary Schmidt
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2019 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.91 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05